Home Buying in Boca Raton>Question Details

Helen, Home Seller in Boca Raton, FL

If you own 2 homes, do you lose the homestead exemption?

Asked by Helen, Boca Raton, FL Thu Sep 11, 2008

We own an apartment that has been on sale for over a year. We will probably end up renting it and buying a house this month. We have the homestead exemption on the apartment, so I guess by renting it we will lose it. What about the property we will buy? Can we request it since it will be primary residence?

When you go to the property appraiser's site, click on exemptions, go to portability and click on application. You will note that on previous homestead it will ask for date sold or no longer used as your homestead. This is how you would file for homestead on new purchase. You would lose the homestead exemption on your new rental property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008
Hello Helen,

You can Homestead only one property and it has to be your primary residence, you have to live there
for more than 6 months. You will loose the Homestead on the Rental, the portability works only if the home
you moved from has been Sold not Rented, you are still the Owner. Also check out the website
It has great insight.

Maria Ahmad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008
It is my understanding that only ONE property can be homesteaded.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008
You will be able to claim a Florida homestead exemption on the property you are purchasing as your primary residence, as long as you live in it for over 6 months of the year.
It doesn't appear that the question she asked was answered. She asked if owning 2 properties would allow her to get the homestead exemption on her primary residence.
Greetings Helen!
In Florida you may only claim Homestead Exemption on your primary residence. You must reside in your new home as of January 1st to be able to use the exemption for the current year. Otherwise you must wait unti the following year to apply. Once you are homesteaded, you do not need to reapply each year. Please email me at dsmcgarey@cfl.rr.com and I will be happy to assist you with any other questions.
Donna McGarey, Realtor
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Portability has been approved. This means you can take your tax savings with you. Once you buy your new home, you can apply with the property appraisers office to transfer the homestead.

Let me know if my team could be of assistance.
Herman Chang, Real Estate Pro in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

You can only claim a Homestead Exemption for your primary residence.
The answers given to you by my colleagues have been right on! I might also add that you should check with your insurance agent about the possible change of $tatus with regard to the apartment if it will no longer be your primary residence.

Joan Lorberbaum Moore
Check out the the Palm Beach property appraiser's site: http://www.pbcgov.com/papa/index.htm and look up portability. You may be able to transfer your homestead to your new residence.