Home Buying in Mount Horeb>Question Details

Deb, Home Buyer in Mount Horeb, WI

If you move from Illinois to Wisconsin will you still get the seniors discount

Asked by Deb, Mount Horeb, WI Mon Mar 1, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Deb, I am originally from Illinois myself and I know exactly what you are talking about. In Illinois the counties give exemptions off of your Real Estate taxes if you are living in your home and are 65 and older (it is called the Homestead Exemption). There is another one also in Illinois but I am not familiar.

So far this is what I see in Wisconsin, There are a variety of qualifications for a Wisconsin Homestead Credit. Those who qualify must be 18 years old as of December 31 of applicable year, lived in Wisconsin for the entire year (January 1 to December 31), claim independent on taxes and make under $24,500 (as of 2009).
So the difference is that if you live in Illinois, it goes by age, in Wisconsin for the most part it goes by income. I do also believe the state of WI allows for a credit no matter if you own or rent.
Read more: Wisconsin Homestead Act | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6374137_wisconsin-homestead-act.ht… You can go to ehow and look up Illinois Homestead information also.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 31, 2012
Not sure what you mean by "Seniors Discount". If you are asking about the federal tax credits, the rules are the same in Wisconsin as Illinois.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 1, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer