Home Buying in 08226>Question Details

Joanne Berna…, Real Estate Pro in Linwood, NJ

If you can't afford a professional clean and repair after your home has been flooded can you do it yourself safely?

Asked by Joanne Bernardini, Linwood, NJ Thu Nov 8, 2012

Is removing the wet dry wall, carpet etc. and spraying with Clorox enough?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

4
Jim Olive’s answer
Joanne...
Do NOT be overly afraid of mold, it is EVERYWHERE, and we live and breathe it every day. It grows and becomes a problem when enough moisture is introduced. Get stuff wet enough and mold will grow. Keep it dry, no visible mold issues. I had a "total loss" of a home to mold and the insurance company wrote me a big check. Then, when the remediation company came to fix it, I learned a LOT about how much a scam "Mold remdiation" can be. Most mold situations involve the common mold you get on an apple, and it is NOT toxic. Clorox is NOT the answer. Warm water and soap are. The remediators cleaned everything in my home with a warm soapy solution. The biggest challenge is to get everything DRY and keep it that way. If things get wet enough and aren't dried properly, mold will begin to grow again. Best of luck cleaning up and DRYING out your home...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2012
BEST ANSWER
Hello Joanne,
So sorry to hear about your home being flooded due to the superstorm. I would not recommend repairing the water damage yourself as mold can develop and be very toxic.

I suggest that you contact FEMA which is offering assistance to those whose homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm.

Here is their contact information:

By phone: Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the number is 1-800-462-7585. These lines are open every day from 7am to 10pm.

Best wishes to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2012
Hi Joanne,

I am very sorry to hear about you water damage. Unfortunately, that is not enough. You will need to have a professional company such as Serv Pro assess the damage so you do not incur health issues. Good luck Joanne!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
You can remove those things yourself, with protection. But there is the possibility of damage that you are not qualified to detect. Contact FEMA as Laura below suggested, also find out if there are any community groups in your area helping out with these tasks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 8, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer