So sorry to hear about your home being flooded due to the superstorm. I would not recommend repairing the water damage yourself as mold can develop and be very toxic.
I suggest that you contact FEMA which is offering assistance to those whose homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm.
Here is their contact information:
By phone: Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the number is 1-800-462-7585. These lines are open every day from 7am to 10pm.
Best wishes to you!
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I am very sorry to hear about you water damage. Unfortunately, that is not enough. You will need to have a professional company such as Serv Pro assess the damage so you do not incur health issues. Good luck Joanne!
Do NOT be overly afraid of mold, it is EVERYWHERE, and we live and breathe it every day. It grows and becomes a problem when enough moisture is introduced. Get stuff wet enough and mold will grow. Keep it dry, no visible mold issues. I had a "total loss" of a home to mold and the insurance company wrote me a big check. Then, when the remediation company came to fix it, I learned a LOT about how much a scam "Mold remdiation" can be. Most mold situations involve the common mold you get on an apple, and it is NOT toxic. Clorox is NOT the answer. Warm water and soap are. The remediators cleaned everything in my home with a warm soapy solution. The biggest challenge is to get everything DRY and keep it that way. If things get wet enough and aren't dried properly, mold will begin to grow again. Best of luck cleaning up and DRYING out your home...