Home Buying in Topanga>Question Details

Carolina Den…, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

If you buy a land/lot parcel with no plans, permits, etc... On avg. how much time and money would go into getting all the necessary permits to build?

Asked by Carolina Denisova, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jul 14, 2011

Answers

3
Christine Kapetan’s answer
Hi - You would want to know if it's inside the Coastal Zone - if it is, the seller may have some preliminary work done (1809 Tuna Canyon Topanga). If it's outside of Castal - I usually guesstamate at $300.00 per square foot. Septics cost between 45k for leech field type - to $100k for pit.., utilities are by parcel - you will contact the water company, and electrical company and get an idea. Also you will need to be sure that fire department has a turn around if required which can add on to your costs, and also the fire hydrants need to be flowing at a rate that meets fire dept standards. This can also be discovered during escrow by submitting a request to the water/engineering dept of the district. You may want to consider hiring an expiditor or architect or contractor who knows the area to help you cover your bases. Hope that this helps. Christine Kapetan ckapetan @verizon.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
Depends upon how well connected your lawyer is...
It all depends on the size of the home (building permits are calculated by the sq foot of the home), if it is located in Coastal Commission's jurisdiction (much more expensive and much more time for permits/years) or not, and many other factors. A good thing to do is to contact a local architect and show him/her the lot and get an estimate on those costs. The architect will have approximations for the perc test, engineering, septic, water meter, electricity hook up, and other costs. They could pull up a previous job that is similar and give a good estimate. Are you looking to build in Topanga? Prefab or kit homes is a good way to go as the upfront costs are known as far as the structure is concerned. Checkout deltechomes.com and formandforest.com
If you are looking for a property in Topanga, I own an acre property of 4 continuous lots that has a great view of Big Rock and surrounding canyons, has a street, water, power, perc test, topo map, geology study, septic, engineering and architectural plans. This can save you tens of thousands. I now live in Orange County and will not be building on my property. I am letting it go for less than 200,000. Come up to see the property and make me an offer. It's one of the last buildable acres in Topanga that is out of Coastal Commission.
You can email me at askdavidw@gmail.com if you have any further interest.
Take care,
David
hello....is your property still available? thanks
Flag Sun May 26, 2013