Home Buying in Pueblo>Question Details

Gabriel Peac…, Home Buyer in Pueblo, CO

If public information about a home differ from a realtors does that mean work was done without a permit?

Asked by Gabriel Peacock, Pueblo, CO Wed Jul 11, 2012

My mom has been looking at a home on Tyler, however the information differs from the public information(2 bedrooms and 2 bath) to what the real estate agency has(5 bedrooms and 3 bath). Does that mean that work was done without a permit?

Answers

4
Public records are notorious for being wildly inaccurate. I would ask for a showing of the property or have your Realtor contact the selling Realtor to get the rest of the information.
Hi Gabriel, Thank you for your question. I would be happy to help you find out the answer to your question. I have a few additional questions before I am able to assist you. Please feel free to call my cell Thursday at your convenience. It is 821-1475, area code 719, if needed.
Tim is correct. County records can be dated OR never updated. Always ask for permits for any work performed (due diligence). Often the bedrooms in older basements are non-conforming. Do your research, agents can be wrong too.
You can't assume much and be sure. I have seen public information listed that is just not correct and maybe never was correct. I have seen agents list homes as 5 bedrooms but it may only have a 3 bedroom septic system. Sometimes upgrades happen, and are permitted, but the county records don't get updated, so don't assume anything. Ask for permits and check with the county records offices to see what the true story is. Often an agent will go through a house and count bedrooms and not check any deeper to see if they are all suppose to be bedrooms.