Home Buying in Iowa City>Question Details

Cynthia Hern…, Home Buyer in Iowa City, IA

If my boyfriend is the sole owner of the house and he wants me to added, how does this happen?

Asked by Cynthia Hernandez, Iowa City, IA Sat Jun 25, 2011

Answers

3
That's very easy. Any competent real estate lawyer can do that. Essentially, your boyfriend would just add you to the deed.

There may be a couple of different ways the new deed could be titled (joint tenants, tenants in common). That's something you and your boyfriend should discuss with the lawyer.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You may want to look into what events could be triggered by being added to title - in some areas adding someone other than a spouse/children can result in higher property taxes, and if there is a mortgage on the home, adding someone to title without the lender's consent can trigger a full payment on the mortgage.
Added to the mortgage or just the deed? Contact your attorney and that person can add you to the title.