Elizabeth Sm…, Both Buyer and Seller in Little Rock, AR

If i pay to get a MLS number, is this searchable by agents in the Little Rock area?

Asked by Elizabeth Smith, Little Rock, AR Mon Mar 4, 2013

Elizabeth, your getting some varied responses here. If you want an opinion of a Broker of 42 years, shoot me an email.
Simple answer is "Yes," you will be visable on the MLS. I disagree with others here. If you want to go the flat fee route, it is okay you just have to make arrangements to make your house available for showing. One way to do it is to purchase a lock box that some services sell that will allow access to a key. You can also install a electronic deadbolt to make showing easy. Otherwise, you just make arrangements to get the home open when there is a appointment. Outside of that, it is good to have access to a fax machine so you can sign documents and return them.

If you go that route, it is key that you do the research to price your house right. In my opinion, pricing your house right makes it sell verses making it easy to make realtors show. Realtors with a client that wants to buy.. Will show the house. That is how they get paid - making a sale.

Further, there are no attorney's fees unless you decide to hire one or title fees outside what is normal in a closing. Using a flat fee broker that is licensed in AR will allow you to use the same forms you can with a commission agent.

I sold property with a flat fee MLS agent before I got my license and it was easy and went well. It does require some familiarity with the process, but if you have bought a house before you can do it. The key is to do your research and price your home correctly. An agent can help advertise your home and provide professional advice, but if you know what you are doing you can save some money.

If you want to visit with an agent, feel free to contact me. If not, price your home correctly and I hope I can sell it.
You are welcome. If you have other questions about the process you can email at brgmrealty@ gmail.com or call me at 501-291-1165. I will provide you info at no cost whether or not you sign with our office. I feel an educated consumer is good for the industry and I'm happy to help.
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Thank you Brandon
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
PS. David is correct. It is more of a hassle for the agents showing your then it is worth.

In addition to watch Linda said..she is very correct when it comes to caution. Yes you are able to pay a flat fee and agents will have access to your listing. However, it is much more worthwhile to hire an agent. There is a lot that goes into work as an agent. Their job is to work as a liaison between buyers and sellers. They are hired to do the work for you. Ultimately, you would save money with an agent then you would for sale by owner. By the time you tack on title fees and attorney fees you're already running up the price. MLS is a great listing service, but there are so many other forms of advertisement that for sale by owner postings don't receive. It doesn't make it onto many of the other buyer friendly sites. When agents list a home they are likely to sell it faster due to their inside resources. If you sell it solo that is another cost to swallow. It may take more time, meaning more money dished out of your pocket. It's also very time consuming, especially if you have a career. Agents are paid to have this as their fulltime job and that has to do with the amount of work that is needed to be successful.

I hope this helps. If you decide to do it alone I do wish you the best. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me. Being in Little Rock I have access to more information you may need.

Good luck to you!
PS, search me on Angie's List & see what's said about me at Network Real Estate
Elizabeth, I advise to never buy an MLS #. Reason is, you're paying a flat fee to be in the MLS... Question then becomes WHO is going to show your house? As an agent. I do not like calling the seller direct to arrange a appt to show with no agent on your side representing you. These so called flat fee companies have #'s that go direct to you... You have to be available on my timeframe because I'm showing more than one home & you either have no lockbox for the key of you have one you buy with a code or you have to be there. Once you give that out its out there. It's just not worth the hassles for me to show flat fee listings when there are 30 other homes easier to show. If you want to know the next best thing, email me direct & I will refer you to an optional webpage that will save you at least 1/2.
Hi Elizabeth,

Just wanted to drop a line to caution you ahead of time. Please take the time to research what others have done in your area to sell their home. Getting an MLS # is such a small part of it. It's a great start, but it's only a start. A trusted real estate agent is such an asset when attempting to sell what is probably the biggest investment you have ever made.

An experienced agent knows the possible pitfalls and can usually avoid them in advance. Proper staging and professional pictures are very important. Screening the buyers to make sure they really are qualified buyers is also important. There are many services that a Realtor® can provide that will enhance the sale of your home and more often for a better price in addition to negotiations after the inspection.

There are many posts here at Trulia that outline step by step why it it important to use an agent when selling your home.

If you do decide to do it on your own, I wish you the best.