Home Buying in Napa>Question Details

Teresa, Home Buyer in Midwest, WY

If buying a home in Napa from out of state should we use a Napa realtor or one in St Helena or other area?

Asked by Teresa, Midwest, WY Fri Jul 18, 2008

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Napa

Answers

4
Teresa keep in mind an agent is bound by certain legal obligations. Traditionally, these common-law obligations are to: Put the client's interests above anyone else's; Keep the client's information confidential; Obey the client's lawful instructions; Report to the client anything that would be useful; and Account to the client for any money involved.

NOTE: A REALTOR® is held to an even higher standard of conduct under the NAR’s Code of Ethics. In recent years, state laws have been passed setting up various duties for different types of agents. As you start working with a REALTOR®, ask for a clear explanation of your state's current regulations, so that you will know where you stand on these important matters.

Their is a big difference between a buyer's and a seller's broker
Suppose you sign an offer to buy a home for $150,000. You really want the property and there's a chance other offers are coming in, so you tell the broker that "We'll go up to $160,000 if we have to. But of course don't tell that to the seller." If you're dealing with a seller's agent, he or she may be duty-bound to tell the seller that important fact. In most states, the seller's agent doesn't have any duty of confidentiality toward you. Honest treatment might require that the agent warn you that "I must convey to the seller anything that would be useful so don't tell me anything you wouldn't tell the seller." So I reccomend buyers use a buyers broker. Bruce makes a great point on credentials look for a broker rather than simply a salesperson this is the only agent distinction conveyed by the California Department Of Real Estate between agents. You may ask does the agent have an active real estate license in good standing? To find this information, you can check the California Department Of Real Estate website http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp on this website simply type in the agent name to see if they have a "clean" record you can also check their license status "Salesperson" or "Broker".