Home Buying in 08005>Question Details

lonnieshepar…, Both Buyer and Seller in Barnegat, NJ

If a property owner dies in 2011 and thee house is left vacant, can i pay the property tax and claim the house without being a family member?

Asked by lonnieshepard49, Barnegat, NJ Mon Jan 28, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Rosemarie McGeehan’s answer
If the property tax is unpaid the township may offer a tax sale certificate. If after 2 years the tax certificate isnt redeemed you can file an action for foreclosure. This is for any property in which the property taxes are delinquent. Contact the township tax office for the status of the property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2013
If taxes are unpaid the town could sell tax lien certificates for the unpaid taxes to the public in an auction. The auctions usually happen once a year in most towns. You can find out when each town has their public auction by visiting the town hall and asking the tax department. There are professional investors who go to these auctions looking to buy tax liens on as many properties as possible. The town usually hands at a list of all properties that are late on taxes, and how much they owe in taxes a few weeks prior to the auction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 15, 2014
No, if the person that died has a will it goes to those named in the will. If it was not willed the state of NJ will determine distribution of property.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer