Home Buying in Libby>Question Details

Kyna, Home Buyer in Libby, MT

If a property is vacant & without "for sale" signs, how do I find out if it is for sale or who owns it?

Asked by Kyna, Libby, MT Fri Mar 13, 2009

There is a house near where I currently live that had been empty for at least the 3 years since I moved into the area. Both my husband and myself are intersted in the property, but have no idea how to contact the right people to do anything about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answers

5
Larry Riggs’ answer
In some states tax and land records are available online. I would start by doing a google search for your states land records. Another way would be to actually research the land records by hand. Realtors in your area should also have access to tax records via their local MLS system. Based on the fact the house has been vacant for so long I doubt it is a foreclosure. I would try a local Realtor first. That way they could also put together the paperwork if you wanted to make an offer on the property.
Type in the address in your google search and see if it comes up on a repo list, or if a Realtor has it listed it will also show, contact county clerk and recorder they are extremely helpful. Debra Cernick Agent Libby, MT
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
You can go through all the available Public Record searches on the web for your area. In adddition you can go down to your town departments for additional information. If you feel that might be too much legwork for you, ask a local Real Estate Agent to help you. I do property searches for my clients in my areas all the time.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
Go to this website: http://gis.mt.gov/ you can look up any property in the state and see who the owners are along with other details of the property. or look up a local realtor and have them pull a property profile on the property in question.
Another approach may be to contact the city or county in which the property is located. Calling is usually the most direct way. (If you get the wrong department the first time--just ask them! Most city employees are used to it.) Property ownership is usually public record information.

Once you find the name(s) of the owners, you can google them. This is a quick way to get a possible good result!