rtaylor742, Other/Just Looking in Shelby Township, MI

If a person is murdered in a home, and the home is subsequently listed for sale. should this be disclosed?

Asked by rtaylor742, Shelby Township, MI Sat May 4, 2013

Answers

6
Many have different rules about Death In a Home.

In Michigan that is not the case.

Perry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013

GREAT Question! 14 years ago when I was taking my Realtor classes I asked this very question to my instructor. As far as the requirement to disclose is concerned, no that does NOT have to be disclosed. My personal opinion is that it should be disclosed, if known. I personally would not purchase a home that such an event has occured, but I know that there are many people that would.

About 3 years ago I showed a home in Rochester Hills that the bank required a document be signed, which disclosed that a murder had occured in the home. It was a home that the son murdered his mother in. My client's did sign the document and did place an offer, (they did not win the offer).

I had the very same issue pop up just a few days ago. A client sent me a short list of homes to see in Sterling Heights, one of those homes was a home that a murder/suicide occured (still under investigation). I set an appointment and viewed the documents and the owners did NOT disclose that a murder had occured.

Those clients did not want to see the home after they found out from a neighbor about what happened there. Sure enough I get two more requests from two other clients to see the very same house. Yes I disclosed this fact to the other clients, but I did not have to. Both declined to view the home. I feel it is the right thing to do because I would expect the same thing if I was the buyer, not the Realtor.

It is a tough issue and an argument can be made either way. Legally I would not be required to disclose this fact, unless the sellers require me to do so. It is not an issue that is mandated by the governing board of Realtors, either locally or through our state. I think this is a very tough issue to require disclosure, how far back do you have to disclose, who is going to know if a person was murdered in a home 50 or 60 years ago? No one is going to be legally responsible for an issue like that, I think it will open up a can of worms legally for people that don't know if a murder or suicide occured in a home.

If I was in your position, I would still ask the question and investigate it in on my own if you truly want an answer.

I hope this helps you a bit.

HAIG
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Thank you.
Flag Sun May 5, 2013
Thank you.
Flag Sun May 5, 2013
No, does not need to be disclosed
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
No, all that needs to be disclosed in the physical condition of the property. If there was a crime committed or a death in the property, that does not need to be disclosed.

Kathy Persha, Assoc. Broker
GRI, CDPE, SFR, CIAS
Nextage Advanced Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Rtaylor,

No, that type of information does not have to be disclosed. It has nothing to do with the house.
If you look at the sellers disclosures that need to be filled out by the seller, you will not find that listed.
A buyer can always check with the police department for crime statistics & such.
Agents are not allowed to give that kind of information.

Hope this helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Thank you for your help.
Flag Sat May 4, 2013
Different states have different laws concerning stigmatized properties. My advice would be to consult an attorney to see what your state laws are on this situation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013