Home Buying in Oceanfront>Question Details

Colin, Home Buyer in Ocean Beach Club, New...

If a non-resident buys a house in California, how often can they visit it? What period of time can they stay in it? & the minimum time between

Asked by Colin, Ocean Beach Club, New Smyrna Beach, FL Sun Jan 10, 2010


Help the community by answering this question:


Any non US resident can buy a property in the US provided they have the funds.
It is a great idea to get an investor's visa but if you do not want to get one, I believe the maximum time you can stay consecutively is 3 months at a time.
You could also contact an attorney who deals specifically with international law.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 2, 2012
Ask Elaine


Going in and out will not work; they will see that as a way to get around permanent status. You can either fall in love or get an investment visa. Investment visa best option for investors.

Love will take two years, but you can stay there in the meantime, and investment visa is your best bet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 20, 2010
Real estate agents are generally not particularly good resources for visa information. Contact the US Embassy or go to their website (referenced below) for actual and factual information.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
What country are you from
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 19, 2010
What I meant to ask was, as a UK resident, I can come into the US for up to 3 months at time on a tourist visa. If I bought property in California, How often can I come over to stay there & for how long each time? Is there a limit? Do I have to stay out of the US for a week, a month or longer between visits? Some countries require you to leave after a specific length of time before being allowed back into the country again
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 13, 2010
Hi Colin. It sounds like you're referring to the definition of resident status for U.S. Tax Purposes regarding income producing property. An individual is considered a U.S. resident if: 1. "he or she is lawfully admitted as a resident at any time during a calendar year - A green card holder is automatically considered a resident; 2) Physical Presence Test - he or she is present in the U.S. for 183 days or more during a calendar year; 3) Substantial Presence Test - he or she is present in the U.S. for more than 30, but less than 183 days in the current calendar year.
I suggest that you contact a Realtor in California who is familiar with international transactions and who can refer you to experts in international law, accounting and monetary systems. Good luck in your investments!

Darla Schroeder, Realtor, GRI, e-PRO
Certified International Property Specialist Candidate
Transnational Referral Certification (TRC)
Century 21 Real Estate Champions
4350 Duhme Road
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Cell (727) 541-3743
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
Odd question.

If a non-resident buys a house in California, he/she can visit it as often as he/she wants. It's his/her home.

There may be some regulations imposed by a condo association or HOA if you're renting it out for part of the year. But I can't imagine an condo association or HOA having the power to prohibit an owner from staying in his/her property.

If you're trying to ask a tax question revolving around the maximum number of days you can stay in your own rental property and claim a tax deduction, that's a question for an accountant.

Can you clarify the purpose of your question?

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 10, 2010
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer