Home Buying in Congress Park>Question Details

z, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

If a multifamily unit (duplex) is sold with both units, or is it possible to own half of a duplex?

Asked by z, Denver, CO Tue Nov 19, 2013

Answers

12
It does, however, depend on the seller. If they sell the two sides separately (which is pretty typical) then you can absolutely own just half of the duplex. There are some instances where the seller will not sell just one, but this does not happen that often.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720.318.7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 19, 2013
As others have noted, it is possible. If this is something that you are looking to do, I have two recommendations as it can be a complicated process:

1. Make sure that your lender is aware, and that they can actually do the loan. Underwriting can have strigent standards.
2. You want your Realtor(R) to be experienced in similar types of scenarios, or the same one. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with this type of transaction, as my specialties lie elsewhere.

Personally, I would just buy the duplex and rent the other side out, but that is just my own personal opinion.
-Alex
Web Reference: http://alexanderlovell.pro
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 19, 2013
It is possible to own half a duplex. The units need to be separated legally by the county which may need to be done before the sale or they may already be divided. You can look it up on the counties property records online.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 19, 2013
It is possible to own half of a duplex. As many brokers below mentioned, you need to know if there is a party wall agreement, HOA, or if the building was legally split. One important question to ask: is it separately metered? You want to make sure that the building is something that your lender will lend on as well. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
Dear Z: Duplexes and the like are all considered Attached Homes. Each unit or "home" can be sold separately if there has property has been set up to do so. Most of them have been set up this way. If you are looking at buying or selling, feel free to reach out and we can talk more about the details related to this question.
Z,

It is absolutely possible to purchase a half duplex. I have sold several. There needs to be a 'party wall' agreement drawn up by an attorney and also agreements written about how the water and utilities are billed to the to parties. I would get a good Realtor and consult with a real estate attorney.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
I have sold 1/2 of a duplex. An attorney will probably advise that a party wall agreement is signed. Maybe a survey showing the division. Also, see great comments below. Contact Kent Levine Attorney to help. Betty Armbrust
Absolutely it just creates a few more things to worry about like the meters or going through the county to legally separate the two if they haven't been already. Let me know if I can help in any way!
Absolutely, it can be done but one think to remember if you are in the market to purchase a duplex or half of a duplex make sure they have separate meter's for the utilities I have an investor who wanted to sell his duplex but it was going to cost him to much to separate the meter's so he ended up keeping them as rental property, as mentioned before you should check with the county. I have a triplex on the market right now but the Seller will not separate them they all have their own meter's let me know if you are interested and I can set a showing to show them to you, they are all brick in good condition they are all tenant occupied.
You can definitely own one half of a duplex -- there are times that they are sold together if the owner has both sides. You would definitely need a Realtor® to help you if you wanted to purchase only one side.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you - email or call

Rochelle Landau
Property Specialist
The Peak Properties Group
303-502-4930
rochelle@milehighhomeguide.com
If the unit was legally split with separate legal descriptions, yes you can own just one half. :-)
You can absolutely own just one side, and most duplexes have already been split that way. There are many "half-duplexes" for sale, and owners of both sides often split them legally and sell each side separately. Hope that helps!