Soomin, Home Buyer in 98512

If a house is on the market for long time, is it mean a ' BAD DEAL'?

Asked by Soomin, 98512 Thu Jul 8, 2010

My husband and I are moving to out next duty station, Fort. Bliss, TX soon. We are thinking buying a house so I've been researching. I found a pretty good house. All the conditions looks good, price, size, area, and interior. However what concerns me was that the house's been on ther market for over 230 days. Is this mean a bad deal? Can I negociate the price since it's been on the market for long period time?

Answers

12
To answer your initial question, not necessarily. It probably means it’s in poor condition or it’s priced too high. Many buyers can’t see past cosmetic damage and don’t realize how inexpensive professional cleaning, new paint, and new carpet are. If it’s priced high, there’s no harm or risk in putting in a reasonable offer. The seller might be ready to be flexible on price.

Chad Roberts
Broker/Salesperson
Realty One Group
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
Yes you can, It also depends on what sight you are looking at. some sights do not update and the house could have already been sold. It is possible that the seller is overpricing the house and not putting it on the market at fair market value. It can also depend on the condition of the home.
Some good info below...also keep in mind good deals are often made, not found.
It does not mean it is a bad deal at all. But, you should take a look into the market time. Perhap's the market is a bit depressed, it's original price might have been to high, it could have bad curb appeal or interior appeal, or ...............it could just not have found the right buyer. I have had listings............that I thought were really great.........and they slept........on the market. Terrific things, I thought about them, price, appeal........there was no technical reason they did not sell in a short amount of time. Yes, they did sell, but had some extended time on the market.

Make sure you have a home inspection. Also, check the area for possible negative factors, school systems, land fills, crime rates. You can always talk to the neighbors also.

You can definately try to negotiate the price. It does not mean the seller will accept it. They may be willing to go lower though since it has been on the market for 230 plus days. You won't know until you make a offer. Good Luck and I hope this helps you.
No, it doesn't mean it is a bad deal. I would recommend depending on your state laws getting a home inspection. Some homes just take a little more to sell...remember not all homes are created equal...there could be a million reasons why it hasn't sold yet.
Answers below are good.

However, if the house really is still active, and has been on the market for over 230 days, then likely it's priced too high. Have a Realtor do a CMA (comparable market analysis) on the property to determine what it's really worth in today's market. Pay no more than that figure. Likely offer less.

And that answers your question about negotiating. Of course you can negotiate. You usually should. Your Realtor can give you some strategies for doing so. Repeat after me: Everything is negotiable.

Another possibility for long days on market is that the house doesn't show well, or there's some major problem with the house or location.

Sometimes the problems are just cosmetic--poor curb appeal, green shag carpeting, too much furniture, strong pet odors, etc. All those can be fixed, some without too much effort. But many potential buyers can't see past the surface. I've seen houses priced $100,000 under the market when all it would take would be $10,000-$15,000 to fix the problems.

And sometimes the problems aren't correctable. Maybe it backs up to a highway. Maybe it's underneath high power lines. So, in that case you have to buy cheaply, recognizing that when you sell the problems will still be there and your pool of potential buyers will be much smaller.

What you need to do is to find a Realtor (NOT the listing agent) around Ft. Bliss to do a CMA and to give you his/her opinion of the property.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
There are many reasons why it may appear to have been on the market for a long time. A good agent will look at comparable sales AND go over the property history with you in much greater detail than you can find on public internet sites. If the property has really been on the market for that long without other explanation, then yes, I would aggressively negotiate price. However, my guess is that you're missing part of the picture and need to take a closer look at the property history.
Hello Soomin,

That is a great question, but one that does not have such a simple answer. The property could have been on the market for a long time due to:

1. It is a short sale property and the lender is dragging their feet in the negotations, or the buyers have backed out and their is new buyers, and the process starts back over again.

2. It could have been priced too high and the agent has been catching up to the market, but once you start behind the market it is hard to ever catch up.

3. It could be a property that has been sold, and not changed status yet.

4. It could be in bad condition that is not represented by the pics.

As far as negotaiting the price it would be best to consult a buyer's agent in Texas and get their opinion of the value of the property.

What are you doing with your house here in Vegas?

Jason Allen Gardner, SFR
Exit Realty Imoti
702-806-6968
jagsellslvre@yahoo.com
http://www.jagsellslvre.com
Have you checked on the pricing history? If a house is always above the price curve, it can continuely be overlooked by buyers looking for the best deal. However, when the house is finally priced at market value and all other considerations being equal it could be a great deal. One can always try to negociate the price for various reasons.
Hi Soomin - I agree with Mark that there are lots of reasons for a house to be listed for a long time on Trulia. The best way to know is to email me the address so I can actually check to see the status.

Its not uncommon for agents to list the property on Trulia then not know how to cancel it as being available. The property could either be under contract, have expired, been foreclosed on or even has already sold.

My contact info is below. Shoot me an email with the address and I'll be happy to check on it for you. If for some reason this one doesn't work out, I can help you find something else.

Heather Peck
Sellstate NRES
VegasCastles@gmail.com
http://www.HeatherPeck.com
Yes you can, if the local comps support you coming in with a lower price.
Make sure you are being represented by a local Realtor, who is qualified to run those comps and advise you on what kind of offer to make.
Thank you and good luck.
If you haven't found a local Realtor yet, please let me know and I will refer one to you.

Chantella Brimhall
"Short sale Specialist"
702-630-5618
cbrimhall09@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.cbrimhall.com
This could be for several reasons... very common, it could be a short sale that has been through many stages of sales, if you found it on Trulia, it could still be under contract or even already sold... it could be over priced, the condition could be bad, and there could be something wrong with the property that causes banks to refuse lending...