Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Futurelicens…, Other/Just Looking in 60103

If a client asks a agent to only show properties where there are no children what would you do as their agent?

Asked by Futurelicensee, 60103 Tue Oct 29, 2013

Answers

25
I'd politely tell them you cannot accomodate for fair housing and discrimination reasons and suggest they seek help elsewhere. Personally, I would't risk my license, reputation or career servicing this client. Follow your gut, it won't steer you wrong.
Yes, this could be against Fair Housing Laws, specifically Familial Status.

"Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability."
Actually, I need more information. As several others have pointed out, this could be a violation of fair housing statutes.
However, if this was an owner occupied building and we are discussing who to consider as tenants, or it is an over 55 community, or their is a legitimate legal reason they cannot be around kids, that would not be a fair housing violation.
It is best to know why they have made the request and then advise them on a course of action, and you can decide if it is appropriate for you to continue to represent them.
Hello my answer would be they are a protected class, where would you like to live. Location Location Location
Umm, this sounds like something that is illegal. My answer would be that I would pay no attention to it.
1) educated them that FEDERAL LAW. Precludes that and WHEN caught you, them and your firm will be sued in federal court and pay a huge fine to the government and the injured parties.
2) if they do not understand this, you MUST fire them as clients and inform your managing broker.
educate,sue,huge fine,fire.......................you might ask questions first and find out why but then with your arrogant attitude i don't think many people will want you as a agent anyway....
Flag Tue Nov 5, 2013
Just because no children live in the area today does not guarantee tomorrow. If they are 55 and over, they could qualify for a certified adult community.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
Other than qualified adult communities, there is no way you have of knowing that, but the client would have to be 55 or over. But there is no harm in trying. I would look for condos or ranch townhomes, as they usually attract less families. I would let them know.

As to why there reason. If they wanted you to know they would tell you. Otherwise, none of your business. Only problem is if there is really a reason, be aware of proximity to schools.

But, there is always the question of whether or not you want to or will be able to service them with those restrictions. I would be frank with them about your constraints and show them what they want.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
You can always show them adult communities.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Since most foreclosures are vacant and she probably wants a really good deal, then it should work itself out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
accommodate their request., Inquire why, you need more info as children are everywhere so this doesn't make sense. Explain what they are missing out on inventory wise.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
It may be a legitimate request, however, I would first inquire why. Could be he/she cannot be around children for legal reasons....disclose disclose disclose.

Secondly, depending on the above, I would explain he/she would be missing out on a huge % of opportunities.

Lastly, cannot manage that request. You cannot ask a seller if they have children before you can show their home or vice versa, the latter would violate fair housing laws.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
What an odd question. Perhaps this client is allergic to children? I see no reason to accommodate such a request plus they would be missing out on perhaps 80 to 90% of homes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Your client could possibly have a legitimate request. Perhaps he is required by law to be a certain distance from children. I would find out his purpose for the request and then consult CAR for the proper way to address your buyers need.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
If it were not against fair housing it would still be a ridiculously difficult task to undertake, would you knock on each door within a quarter mile radius and ask if they do now, if not, can they guarantee that they will not in the future? Where is this person living now? Probably not earth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
explain that their request is against the Federal fair housing law. Explain that even 55+ communities have areas where the grandkids can play, although no one under 18 can live there full time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Hmmm,
Your question appears in HOME BUYING CHICAGO.
Is the client a buyer or seller?

As a seller, you need to educate the owner. If they are unteachable, you need to know your license is on the line.

If a buyer, there are vast stretches of age restriced communites.
These come in condo sizes, townhomes, villas and detached houses.
Age restricted communiteis are everywhere.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
That's ridiculous. You can't ask that as a seller. I'd run away from this seller as quickly as possible.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
It is illegal to advertise a home or apartment that states no children however when a buyer makes that request, and they do... you need to explain that there is no way to guarantee no children unless they purchase in an adult community. That any neighborhood they may like, they should spend some time walking through the area during the day, after school and in the evening. Only the buyer can judge what is acceptable to them. An agent can not make that choice for them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
I would tell them there is no way to know if there are or are not any kids in the house. If that was not good enough I would say Bye-Bye and move on.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Drop the client. No way is worth loosing your license.Might be IDFPR doing a test on you.Its been happening lately.Any request for such a thing i will immediately drop them.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
I would get them what they want. You work for the client and need to fit their needs. For mortgage help, call or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 415-5626.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Toll Free: (855) 415-5626 ext. 5734
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
I would bring my 7 month old son along on the showings, and then ask the client to babysit while I took various phone calls. Then I'd probably have them do a diaper change at the bar where we'd discuss the pros and cons of children, procreation, humanity, and the lack of affordable daycare.
Ask them why and then tell them about your obligations as a Realtor.
My thought was an agent should inform the client that even though they have a fiduciary duty ,that following the federal fair housing law supersedes that.. If I were an agent I would not do anything to jeopardize my license.

Also couldn't this fall under steering as well? So would the real answer be to tell them that you as an agent have to show all available properties.
I'd say, "I can't do that," and then I'd ask them, "Why is that?"
That's impossible. You would only be able to show them senior living facilities.