Home Buying in Santa Monica>Question Details

Kaz, Home Buyer in Santa Monica, CA

If a Torca tenant dies, would their spouse/children have the right to continue living in the property?

Asked by Kaz, Santa Monica, CA Tue Oct 29, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


That is a tricky questions. You might want to call the City of Santa Monica Rent Control and ask. Typically with a TORCA conversion, whom ever is on the lease, runs with the unit. However, marriage automatically puts a spouse on the lease and you can not evict them for having their legal spouse or minor children living with them. Those are two ways that someone can be added to a lease without landlords consent...marriage or the birth/adoption of a child.

Call SM Rent Control and ask. That is your best bet. All of the units have different scenarios.

Good Luck!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
And let me clarify...the spouse and child must be living in the unit.
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
They usually have something in reference to the torca tenant in the HOA documents and some of the regulations associated with that tenant situation. So, that might be helpful. I have seen it mentioned in hoa documents.

Sara Mehrpouyan
Serving W LA & San Fernando Valley
Direct phone 818-903-2040
Rodeo Realty
Bre License #01712757

Receive New Property Listings In Your Email: http://www.NewLosangelesHomesearch.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer