Home Buying in Katy>Question Details

Msilberberg86, Home Buyer in Katy, TX

If I were to buy a lot in Katy in a developing neighborhood, would I be able to build a custom home on it?

Asked by Msilberberg86, Katy, TX Tue Sep 18, 2012

Or would it have to be a McMansion type of home like by David Weekly or KB Homes? Are there rules as to what the house can look like or can I put anything I want, given it follows all of Katy's building codes? Thanks

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Katy

Answers

9
Msilberberg86’s answer
Wow, thank you so much to everyone! These answers were extremely helpful to me and I feel good about my chances of building a custom home in the city I want! I'm not quite there yet, but when I am, I'll be sure to keep your names in mind.

Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Good question.
I'm an active member of the GHBA Custom Builders Council, and have indepth experience being involved with numerous custom home and new construction projects.
Based on experience, here's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to "build on your lot" new construction.

Every lot will have easements, set back lines and building lines associated with it that will limit where an improvement will/can be located, and these lines will limit the width and depth of the structures within them. There are also aerial easements to consider on some lots. All lots will also have minimum and maximum limits as to the size (square footage) of the finished home. The square feet restrictions are either imposed in the deed restrictions for the community, or by the city or county codes. It depends on where the lot is located.
This is like a chicken or egg situation. Which comes first? Do you locate the lot, obtain all the documentation as to the easements, lines, and restrictions, then find a home plan that fits these requirements. Or, do you first locate a builder, select your home plan, and then find a lot or land that will accommodate what you want to build?

I've assisted many buyers since 1998 with selecting a custom home builder, and finding a lot or land, and the project is approached from either start point, depending on their situation.

Custom home building is a challenging and a rewarding experience.

Hope this helps you.

Veronica
It just depends on where you buy your lot.
It should have said east of FM1463.
Try Woodcreek Estates just south of I-10 and west of 1463 in the city of Katy. Lots are around $90,000 with only custom builds allowed. Stately homes is a good custom builder in that area.
This depends on where the lot is and the home owner"s association. If you are not working with a realtor, I would be more than happy to help you.
It depends on the subdivision & developer. In my experience, the builders purchase lots for their plans to sell to buyers. Buyees tyoically have many floorplans to choose and some may have semi custom options.

Pamela Williams
Realm Real Estate Professionals
281-774-8400
Good morning,
It really depends on the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are built by a developer and lots are sold to builders. There are some lots in the city of Katy that you can build a custom home according to the deed restrictions, HOA and City of Katy. If you need assistance in the purchase, please call or email to discuss you needs. Have a Great Day!

"Selling Real Estate Since 2001"
Richard Luebeck
Elite Texas Properties
12320 Barker Cypress Road
Suite 600-224
Cypress TX 77429
Cell 832-646-2886
realtor_richard@yahoo.com
http://www.har.com/richardluebeck
http://www.texasrealestate.com/richardluebeck
http://www.elitetexasproperties.com
I think that may depend on if the neighborhood has deed restrictions. If so check with the HOA. If not you may want to check with the city of Katy.