Home Buying in Bouldin>Question Details

Gayle, Other/Just Looking in Rockville, MD

If I was interested in Hill Country but still wanted to be close in to austin within a 10 to 15 min drive to downtown for conveniences. Swf,

Asked by Gayle, Rockville, MD Wed Feb 17, 2010

no kids, more of a city girl. I don't want to be to far removed but would love some space. is this unrealistic and what area of town is this called so I can look on trulia? thanks

Answers

12
Gayle, just curious if you were wanting to talk a little about exactly what you're looking for. As I said in my previous post, I would be glad to assist you, and at no cost to you. I can even set you up with a 'live' web site accessing our Austin MLS so you can search for specific properties/areas and get updated daily with new listings that fit your criteria (price, size, etc.) BEFORE they hit the consumer web sites. If you have a few moments, please call me at my office to discuss. Thanks! Joe Jarusinsky, REALTOR, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company
(512) 261-4415. Hope to hear from you!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 18, 2010
Gayle,
I just spent a couple of days this week with a Dallas client looking for vacation homes in Austin. 10-15 minutes drive-time in Austin during downtown rush hour can mean 1 mile from the state Capitol. There are some great areas around Austin that will be missed if you limit your search in that regard. We actually wanted to find a home for this couple near The Domain - a great new high-end shopping/restaurant/living destination outside the downtown area, but with all the amenities of city living and the hills that are sorely missing in DFW and so abundant in the middle of the state. They also didn't want to be way out in the suburbs. Young, fun, and hip was the area they described. Our MLS and the secondary sites for real estate are different to search by the name of what we call an area. I suggest sticking to zip code when trying to narrow down the search. And, work with a Realtor. Austin is quite large. I visit 3-4 times a year (some for business and some for scuba trips to Lake Travis), and have for the last 30 years, and I am in no way an expert. I partner with a local real estate agent when I have DFW clients and we combine our knowledge (mine of the buyer's likes and dislikes, and theirs of the area) to seal the deal in a weekend. Make sure to work with a Realtor, as only Realtors have a Code of Ethics as members of the National Association of Realtors. Also, familiarize yourself with the website below, including some Texas-only loan programs for which you may qualify.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 18, 2010
So, Gayle, I'm curious....

Did you connect with anyone on here? Did you respond to anyone with any more (specific) information about what you are looking for?

I've read thru some answers on here and I'm starting to also notice that your question has another (general) terminology that has REALTORS giving general answers.

In regards to "interested in Hill Country"....
Many people consider Austin Texas "in the Hill Country", therefore you could live pretty much anywhere out here and claim to live "in the Hill Country".

So, my question is: Do you want to live in a neighborhood that winds through valleys of pure Hill Country with incredible views that resemble the Hills of Malibu California? (cliffside homes, sloped Lots, views for miles, sunsets to die for!)
Or
Do you want a home that sits on a level Lot in a peaceful neighborhood (no views), but allows you to drive home with a view of the Hill Country?
OR!
Do you just want to live near the Hill Country and near Downtown Austin?

I can give you Hill Country views within 3 miles of Downtown (and even with a view of Downtown) for under $200,000. But how much space do you need, and what is more important to you?
And of course I can give you cliffside, rolling terrain, and much more. All the way up to $1m, everywhere in between, and beyond.

So again, I'm curious to know if you've responded with anybody here, and if you've made any progress?

Shawn@ShawnMon.com
512-330-1075
Dear Gayle,
Another option would be Shady Hollow. The lots are larger, about a half acre or larger and the homes are more afordable $225K-350K. It is 15 minutes to downtown so it allows a shorter commute time. Some other neighborhoods that fit your criteria are: Circle C, Travis Country, Travis Country West. I disagree with the person who suggested High Pointe and Bel Terra as the lots are typically about .25 of an acre or less and it is 30 minutes to downtown with no traffic. In fact the 290 & Mopac interchange is about to be under construction and that commute will be much longer for the duration. Your price range will really be the driving force in where you land. If you want to see specific homes in the areas suggested just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Betina

Betina Foreman Realtor
Keller WIlliams
1801 S. MOPAC, 100
Austin, TX 78746
512.771.6318
Gayle,

There are some great answers below. One thing that should be mentioned though is that there is NO place in the "Hill Country" that is 10 minutes to Downtown Austin. Westlake Hills would be the closest but even then you will never be downtown in 10 minutes with any traffic. Some of the other areas mentioned are 45 minutes out in traffic time. But who goes downtown anyway???
Estates of Shadowridge in southwest Austin. Half acre to full acre lots. Developed and built out by David Weekley. 15 minutes from downtown.
Gayle, as already asked, the price range and type of home/area would help me determine what direction/areas may fit your needs. Feel free to call me to discuss. I represent buyers at no cost to you and would be happy to assist you in finding just the right home and neighborhood!! I have a great team of lenders, inspectors, etc. who will all work for you.
You can click on my name to the right to see my credentials, testimonials, and contact info. Thanks!

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor, Keller Williams Realty (512) 497-0105
Gayle,
Here are some neighborhoods to look at with a WIDE range of prices:
290 W area: Ledgestone, Highpointe, Sawyer Ranch, Sunset Canyon
Bee Cave RD area: Cuernavaca, Lake Pointe, Seinna Hills
Hwy 71 W area: Covered Bridge, Hill Country Estates, Scenic Brook, Grannda Hills
Hwy 1 (mopac) area: Circle C, Merridian, Alta Vista

Many more to consider but this is a good satrt without more information.
Shoot me a direct email with more specifics and I wil hone in for you.

Bill Asutin ~ 512-709-6343 ~ baustin.realtor@gmail.com
Dear Gayle:

Like Shawn said, what price?? Westlake is $500K on up and truly is 10 minutes from downtown. Cuernavaca like Ryan said, happens to be where I live, is a 25 minute drive to downtown using Redbud Trail during peak traffic times. Cuerney area homes are priced from $250K to $5M.

Mary Strickler
Prudential
One word: Cuernavaca.
Call me to find out more (512) 284-2204
Well, price range is the first question?

Tell me more about what you like in quality of construction, quality of life, and quality of activity (lake, nature, movies, shopping, dining, etc)

Don't forget to tell me your price range! If not sure exactly, then just tell me how much you are comfortable spending per month in rent/mortage payments, and how much you are comfortable putting down as a down payment (if any at all) and I will conclude for you.

Shawn@ShawnMon.com
512-330-1075
This will depend on your price range and other search criteria. Feel free to share and I can respond in more detail. However, there are many good options for living in the Hill Country but still within a 15 minute drive to downtown such as the Southwest part of Austin like Rollingwood, West Lake Hills, Circle C, Village at Western Oaks, Ridge at Lantana, Travis Country, Travis Country West, Legend Oaks, Covered Bridge, Maple Run, Sendero, and several other options.
Web Reference: http://www.regentpg.com