Home Buying in Springfield>Question Details

Lakeshia wil…, Home Buyer in 65807

If I was buying a home and the home costed 150000 at closing and I wanted a loan for 205000 will a bank allow me to have the extra funds?

Asked by Lakeshia williams, 65807 Sun Jul 29, 2012

I would need the extra money to furnish my home and do extra work to the home.

Help the community by answering this question:


I'd agree that a 203k rehab loan is what you are probably looking for. It is an FHA product that allows a borrower to obtain additional funds, over and above the property's asking price. However, the funds must be directed to licensed contractors who have provided the underwriter with quotes for the work, ahead of time. 203k loans also require 2 types of appraisals, one for the value as the property sits, and an additional one that projects the property's future value after the improvements. The total amount of the loan cannot exceed the values that similarly updated homes in the neighborhood are currently bringing at market.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
Most banks will err on the conservative side and loan lower than the purchase price of the home. That being said, there is a loan program called FHA 203K rehab loan, which will allow for a loan amount that includes purchase price plus rehab costs. It will not allow for extra funds to furnish the home, and you would still need to come up with the down payment plus closing costs. The other issue would be that the home's after rehab value would need to appraise for the neighborhood. If you would like some names and numbers of local lenders that have experience with this type of loan, feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help.
Amy Molea, Murney Associates
417-380-1354 cell
417-823-2300 office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer