Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Pnbpatter1, Real Estate Pro in California

If I want to buy investment property between 100K-120K where would I get the best bang for my buck in terms of rentals

Asked by Pnbpatter1, California Wed Mar 24, 2010

Answers

9
This is a loaded question. Sometimes the bang you get for buying low end properties and renting them out for market rent turns into a big dud when the tenant trashes the place and stiffs you for the rent. My point is that you should really educate yourself about being a landlord, especially if you intend to purchase low end properties for rentals. Renting out low end properties requires a certain skill set and temperament that if you lack, you will get slaughtered. (This is true for all types of properties but more pronounced in the low end cheap properties).
Web Reference: http://www.urbanerealty.com
Hi Pnbpatter,

I like Baltimore for rental for 100-120 you can obtain several properties and obtain some good rental income.
Anything great deals close to metro and beltway.
To clarify my answer, these are definitely NOT low-end properties I am talking about and I recommend using a professional management company if you are not local or do not want to manage yourself. Even using a management company, they will cashflow a minimum of $300/month. These are condos and townhouses well-located near metro stops, shopping, colleges and work centers.Ex: I bought one myself a year ago for $35,000 just two blocks from NASA Goddard's gates and am about to purchase my second, and my tenant works for Homeland Security. It is definitely not low end.

Just because a property is less expensive, does not mean it is cheap or low-end So don't let someone who does not know the area you want to buy into dissuade you from your goal.
Hi Pnbpatter1, there are some investment properties in Silver Spring for that price.
I answered this three years ago and I have a different answer now. There are lots of areas in Prince Georges County, a suburb of DC, where you can still buy great investment properties. I have investors who are buying and holding properties in Greenbelt, Laurel, Upper Marlboro and Bowie in the $60-$120K range that are cashflowing up to $600/month, after management fees. Some of them are even turnkey, but most just need cosmetic updates.
Check out Fort Washington, Southern PG county. It's the best kept secret in DC. Fort Washington is listed as one of the most luxurious neighborhoods in DC area.
My advice is to find somplace CLOSE to you where you can keep an eye on your investment.

Real Estate is an ACTIVE investment. If you are investing this large of a sum - you should carefully watch your property.
Have a look at Frederick, Maryland. There are some awesome buys in the downtown area there for under $200,000 and the downtown area is ALWAYS rentable. There are two colleges and a military base there.

I live locally to Frederick and could help you out if you are ever up this way.