Home Buying in Dorchester>Question Details

Code Red, Home Buyer in Dorchester, MA

If I'm not selling and I've found the condo I want and want to place an offer, should I still find a real estate professional to represent

Asked by Code Red, Dorchester, MA Sun May 22, 2011

me?

Answers

16
Kelvi Cunningham’s answer
Home Buying in Dorchester-
Well, I think you have a resounding answer. We all feel very strongly about you having the representation you deserve at what should be at no cost to you.

If you are looking to find a professsional in the Dorchester area take a look at your Massachusetts Association of Realtors website to find a Realtor that you feel is a good match for you.
http://www.marealtor.com/content/

I agree with the comment made by Colin Emmons about seeking out an agent that has earned the ABR, Accredited Buyer Representative, designation. I have the ABR designation and I feel that it is important education to have and that the agent you choose can utilize that knowledge to be helpful to you as a buyer.=

Kelvi Cunningham
Chrtistine, Its free if he goes direct your right. If he uses an agent he has obligations. It may or may not cost him more money, it may save them money as well.

Not sure what agents your use to dealing with, but let us know so we can let the licensing board know.

But getting back to code red he definately needs representation, whether it be a buyers agent, a good attorney or both.
Just to clarify, since you have received some confusing responses--the seller has a contract with the listing agent to pay a certain fee, usually a percentage of the sale price. If the listing agent sells the unit to you directly she or he will receive the entire commission; if you have a buyer agent the listing agent will split the commission with the buyer agent--and you will have someone on your side who represents only you. The only way you are going to save money by going directly through the listing agent is if she/he agrees to reduce their commission, which doesn't generally happen. On the other hand, if you go through the listing agent you will probably pay more because nobody will be negotiating for you.

Ellen Friedman, Keller Wlliams Realty, ellengfriedman@comcast.net or 617-448-1542
It is free unless you agree to base commissions and other sneaky stuff brokers throw in their contracts. If you have already found the home and would like to place as in the question that was asked it will uaually not cost the buyer anymore and if it does he may may less for the home. The listing agents duty is to the seller.
I don't know where brokers say a buyers agent is free?

Not is there always equal or for that matter compensation always offered by the seller or the sellers agent. A true buyers agent is suppose to get the best property and deal for their client. That means exploring ALL situations, even those not on the market.
So if a home B is on the market and home A and C are not and you do not ring there bell to see if they will sell their home, are you truely representing the best interest of your client? I don't think so.

Louis Wolfson
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Its FREE. The seller is paying whethere you have one or not.
Code Red very appropriate name - if you have to ask - YOU DEFINATELY NEED ONE.
Hi Code

Always have your own agent who goes to bat for you.

That is your team member. A listing agent has signed dated and date stamped
A contract with the seller before you, hence his/her first fiduciary duty is to the seller
First.

Also a buyers agent will get all the inspections done, advise you on the neighborhood and the right price to
Offer on the house. Generally, it is tough for a listing agent to go to a seller and advise the seller that look I am also writing an offer for a buyer but for $25k less.

It is not logical.

Perry.
Hate to echo the what's already been posted, but it's very important to keep in mind the sellers agent is representing the seller, not you.

Where I sell real estate, commission is almost always paid by the seller (unless some other agreement is reached between you and the seller, but again where I come from, that is fairly rare.) The only fee you might come across for using a buyers agent is a broker's admin. fee. In my area those range form $200-$300, and are usually added into your closing costs (I don't know if they have those in your area, and if so, what the amounts are). Keep in mind if you ask for some, or all, of your closing costs to be covered you may not even pay that!

When looking forn an agent, I'd suggest looking for one that has the ABR (Accreditied Buyers Representitive) designation. Few agents take the time to get this training, but the ones that have specialize in working with buyers.

Overall, and agent on your side (ABR designation or not) is very important. Especially since they cost you next to nothing!
In addition to making the process go much easier, an agent will help you make a better offer and help make sure the seller does not take advantage of you. For example, the seller may write into the contract for you to pay some of there fees. Without an agent, it will be hard for you to know if you are paying the normal buyer fees or also paying part of the fees the seller normally picks up.
Code Red,
If you're not guilty, should you hire an attorney to represent you in court? YES, you need and deserve representation on a purchase. Your own agent can help you determine value, negotiate the transaction refer you to quality vendors for inspection, lending and other professionals as they become necessary.
Hi there - You should absolutely be represented by a buyer's agent--the listing agent works only for the seller and wants to get the best deal for the seller. It will not cost you anything to have a buyer's agent. I've worked with several buyers in Dorchester and would be happy to talk with you. Check out my testimonials on Zillow and Yelp.

Ellen Friedman, Keller Williams Realty, 617-448-1542 or ellengfriedman@comcast.net
You probably already know that the seller is represented by a professional. You need the same level of representation for yourself. Get your own Realtor - not the seller's Realtor. You need someone representing your best interests. Best of all - it is highly likely that the Realtor who represents you will be paid by the seller.
I totally agree with the 2 agents. Get a buyers agent to represent you.
Absolutely! The seller's agent's job is to sell, not to watch out for whether or not your interests are represented in the transaction. A buyer agent shouldn't cost you a penny and the process will be a lot smoother. Google my name, and let's chat tonight or in the morning. 781-330-0152
Code Red, it is in your best interested to be represented by a Buyer Agent. They'll be using their expertise to look of for your best interest.

j