Wannamove, Home Buyer in 60441

If I have the listing agent show me the house, does that agent have the be the one who represents me to buy

Asked by Wannamove, 60441 Sun Jun 14, 2009

it. Or can I use the the person I choose to sell my house

Answers

7
I disagree Christina. If I am at an open open house or at one of my subdivisions and I show you a house,that is fine. If you call and make an appointment to see one of my listings then show up with another agent to write the contract,I have a problem. As does my broker. I have worked for three different brokers, and they all felt the same way. It is inappropriate for a buyer to do this to a listing agent,and the threshold laws in some states will consider you(who showed the home) the procurring cause. Have your agent show you the home. I have never understood areas where you are to contact the sellers directly instead of the listing agent to see the property. Why not just pay a company $500 to put your home in the MLS? If the sellers show the home,who needs you?
As most have stated you can choose to be represented by the agent of your choice. One thing to keep in mind that I don't think a lot of buyer realize is it's fine to ask the sellers agent to show you the house, they are being paid for that, but just be honest with them about having an agent or the fact that you may choose to have an agent represent you. They will understand and still show you the house (if they are a good agent), but they will show up knowing where they stand. If you can get the agent you like to show you the house, that's even better. Good luck on your house hunting!!

Tina Ring
Coldwell Banker Triad Realtors
Tina.Ring@ColdwellBanker.com
http://www.greensborohomesforsale.ws
You will not be in dual agency with the listing agent unless you sign a buyer's brokerage agreement. If you like and trust the listing agent, why not buy from them? I have sold real estate for seven years and I have never told any buyer a lie or "modified truth" just to get them to buy. A buyer's agent will be quick to tell you why you need representation from an agent other than the listing agent, but if you have done your homework and have a good feeling about the listing agent, you will be fine. If you have the listing agent show you the home,then show up with another agent to purchase the home, you could have a problem. This is just not the way to start. If you have an agent,get them to show you the house. I have seen agents wait until the home has closed, then go after the commission because they considered themselves the procurring cause.
If you specifically asked the agent to show you the property and never mentioned that you have another Realtor working as a Buyers rep for you, you could have a case of procuring cause. This taken from about.com, " The agent who ultimately caused the buyer to purchase the home and earned the commission is the procuring cause agent. That procuring cause agent might not be the agent who obtained the offer from the buyer, presented the offer and successfully negotiated the seller's acceptance of that offer. "

Before you get yourself in a situation such as this, try to take time to examine your reasoning behind this. Did you in the past, have a deal go badly because of an arrangement like this? Is it something about the listing agent that you are uncomfortable with? Most agents are well versed in handling dual agency and handle their deals with integrity. If you have concerns, address them with the Realtor. He or she will most likely not be offended at your questions and will be very open to explaining how they would handle a dual agency situation. Best wishes on your search. If I may assist or answer any other questions, please contact me 708-927-3803.
Using the listing agent as your real estate agent could be a disadvantage to you. Did you know the listing agent represents the seller? They initially were hired by the listing agent to sell their home and represent them. Using the listing agent makes the agent a dual agent, earning the agent both sides of the commissions. I live in Lemont. My office is in Palos Park. I would be happy to represent you. I pride myself on getting my buyers great "wow" homes at great deals and my sellers get the most money in the quickest time with the greatest ease. I have my own website on Realtor.com and I have my own personal website, not counting advertising on trulia, zillow, craig's list and numerous other sites. Check out my website, http://www.CarmensHomes.com to see how I market my listings. I have an awesome email program I can put you on with your criteria. I would be emailing you listings that fit your criteria and that would be AVAILABLE, sent to your email address, for FREE! This way you would receive all deals immediately, even foreclosures and short sales. I am a full time agent with almost 14 years of experience. I am always available, via email or cell. Feel free to contact me, 708-533-0515 or email trulia@CarmensHomes.com.

I look forward to hearing from you. I even work Sundays.

Carmen Keslin E-Pro
708-533-0515 cell
trulia@CarmensHomes.com
Web Reference: http://www.CarmensHomes.com
You can use the person you choose to sell your house. You should use them to represent you on the purchase, but if you don't like or trust them...then find someone else as long as you have not agreed to let them represent you.

In the future...find an agent you like, and let them show you the houses...that way you are being fair to all.
Did you sign Buyer Agency and did the listing Broker ask if you already had an agent representing you?
This would be why...if you see a home you are interested in and you already have an Agent...always contact your Agent.