Aimee, Home Buyer in Queens, NY

If I buy in Washington Heights where is safe & close to train? I am a single woman who comes home late.

Asked by Aimee, Queens, NY Wed Mar 19, 2008

Answers

11
Caesar, stop spamming questions with answers of "please call me". If you have answers, post them, since you're not in the 212 area code and answering questions in it, well, spam is the word.
Washington Heights is in general a safe area. If you want to be close to the train, stay west of Broadway, the A train is fast and gets to you Midtown in less then 25 minutes. I live in Washington Heights and come home late as well.I know my neighborhood an love it. Email me with any question you have.
adina.greenberg@cbhk.com
Web Reference: http://www.cbhk.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 22, 2008
Do you still live there? i would love to talk to more about the area
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013
I live on West 189 & Broadway for 6 years and consider my area very safe! I wouldn't say "stay west off Broadway". From 181 and all the way to Inwood, around the park from Broadway to the west off Broadway, the
area is very nice and pretty safe. Especially later. We have lots new stores, bars, restaurants plus new buildings are growing. The A and 1 trains just few blocks away, and in some cases right across the buildings.
Like West 192 and Bennett or Overlook Terrace and West 185. Of course west off Broadway all the way to
Fort Washington is much nicer, but also much pricier.
I am a single woman also and living here for 6 years never had any accidents. So if you interested to live
in Washington Heights I will be happy to assist you in your search.
I agree with most comments, walk around the area, and also commute from your job or where ever you hang out in the city to the heights and time it. You'll notice depending where you are commuting from it's going to take a certain amount of time and please, please keep in mind that on the weekends there's a lot of track that's done which will delay your commute. If in dought read the signs that are always posted on the tops indicating track work. Secondly check out the nyp website for the crime rate and lastly listen to your gut feeling. Ask yourself who am I going to feeling coming home late on the subway, walking home is it going to spook me out or will I be fine with it? My question is, are you looking at the heights because you can get more for your dollar regarding? There's some well priced apartments in othere areas in the city, feel free to send an email if you're considering othere areas, good luck.
my suggestion is dont move to neighborhood that you are afraid of..point blank!
I would walk the neighborhood for a day, talk with residents, and probe for your answers from the source.

You will never find the answer via e chat...at the end of the day you will have to feel comfortable
with your neighborhood....

Something that Washington Heights has to offer that is missing in high rise environment is a really neighborhood feel...Yes, like Park Slope : )

It will not take long before you know half the neighborhood....Yes, so it's quite safe : )

If you are checking out Washington Heights tomorrow swing by my open house
on 474 West 158th Street Apt 1....

Best of luck Aimee !!
Web Reference: http://www.barakny.com
Aimee,

I notice that you are in Queens. The most important unkown variable which directly affects my earlier advice, is what is your purchase budget and financial situation for both monthly payments and also to pass a co-op board screening process. Without knowing that, is it even feasible for you to look in Washington Heights? Typically, most places range from $300K in the areas you would even consider for safety and practicality.

My best advice is to take your time and to work with someone who listens to your needs.
I would stick to Inwood ( Dyckman St. - 218th St., west of Broadway) and Hudson Heights (181st to fort Tryon, west of Broadway). They are both leafy, safe residential neighborhoods. I love both neighborhoods, but Inwood is my particular favorite because of all the great new restaurants etc.
Dear Zack,

I understand your concern. I do recognize that im not in the 212 area, but I do have extensive experience there. Moreover, I want to provide aimee with another avenue in which she can ask for information. I am not rambling for her to call me to make her my client but to help her make a judicious decision.
Give me a call at (718) 698-2179 at Prosperity Real Estate Group, I can help you answer any questions you may have, this is not commitment to come with us. YOu can come and inquire about this even if you are already working with someone. Property is a constitutional right, and we are here to make sure you are not provided with erroneous information. We welcome this questions because it allows us to do research for you and ourselves which we can share with others.

My Name is Caesar Galindo Office manager, and Law Student at CUNY Law School.
The best areas of Washington Heights are west of Broadway. There are great places along Riverside Drive and also Fort Washington is great for proximity to subway. Feel free to contact me anytime for more feedback and insight.