Home Buying in Park East>Question Details

Vbrown419, Home Buyer in Dania Beach, FL

If I buy a condo in a over -55 community, can someone over 18 but under 55 live with me for a year?

Asked by Vbrown419, Dania Beach, FL Mon Jan 13, 2014

Answers

9
Thank you all for you replies. It seems so obvious now that I should check with the condos I was interested in, but I always lived in houses and thought it was one rule for all. I found out not only that it varies from one to another but that maybe condo life is not for me afterall. Thanks again.
It is best to read your declaration of condominium documents to get the correct answer. In most cases the non-owner between 18-55 years of age can live with the Owner who is 55+. The non-owner may have to fill out an application with the condominium before moving in.
From my experience with South Florida over 55 communities, contact the association of the community you are interested in first to verify that they will allow and also what other rules and restrictions will affect this younger resident and what escrow deposit for maintenece are they requiring at closing. They all have differnt rules and restrictions and requirements of income and escrow deposits! Many things have changed in the last years since the crash of the market. If you have a community or area in mind, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Marie C Rodriguez
Dream Terra Realty Inc
786-853-3347
maricarmenrealtor@gmail.com
The answer is unique for each 55 + community and the answer will be found in the individuals condo documents.
Most of them do allow it, but you need to check with the Condo Doc's usually as long they are over 18 years old it's usually not an issue, they will do a background check on whoever want to reside with you to make sure they only have a certain type clientele in the complex.

Wilber Williams
Boca Executive Realty - Fort Lauderdale
Bahia Mar Yachting Center
801 Sea Breeze Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-522-3663 Office
954-522-0767 Fax
305-318-8054 Cell
Wilber@BocaExecutive.com
http://www.BocaExecutiveRealty.com
The rule of thumb will be yes, but each community has their own regulations, so you must contact them directly. If the condo is considered a retirement condo or an assisted condo then the answer will likely be no. Only the Condo Association can give you the specific answer you seek.

Tony Vega
Antonelli Realty
We are very familiar with 55+ communities and have recently helped a customer purchase a condo in one which did not allow anyone under 55 to live in the building. We also helped sell a condo in a 55+ community which had a more relaxed policy, requiring that only one of the owners be 55 years old or older.

So it really depends on the specific condo community. Please contact us directly and we would be happy to help you find the ideal condo. We live in Hollywood and are very familiar with Dania Beach, Hallandale, and communities nearby.

Thanks!
Vivian & Keith Harmeyer
Ace Realty & Investments
(954)834-3349
email: SouthFLRealtors@gmail.com

In most cases yes, but your first step should to read the condo documents. Some condos have clauses that state the minimum age of the second or third resident must be more than a certain age, and that will tell you the story.

Nadine Mauro
Highlight Realty
561-414-0864
NadineSellsHouses@gmail.com
You would need to check with your condo docs, but normally anyone over 18 can live with the owner who is over 55.

James Loftis
954-261-3361
Real Estate 911 Inc broker/owner
RealEstate911@gmail.com
RealEstate911.com