Home Buying in Weston>Question Details

Shawninsa, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I would love thoughts on a gay male family moving to Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, Lex/Concord? Are any areas/schools more/less gay friendly?

Asked by Shawninsa, New York, NY Fri Nov 23, 2012

Answers

11
I live in Weston and raised my kids here. The only real drawback to the town is it's lack of diversity. You would be warmly welcomed here by a community that is progressive and enlightened, well educated and anxious to make sure their kids do well...which includes having friends that embrace all kinds of different lifestyles and beliefs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 19, 2014
From some of the comments, the areas seem like good possibilities.

I agree with Tom about considering using a gay Realtor. It's suggested below that a real estate licensee can't help you. It's delicate area, but I know gay Realtors who focus on the gay market. I know Koreans who focus on the Korean market. And so on. You can't call it steering--because that's illegal. But you can tap into their knowledge of the area. And if a buyer has a particular need, it makes sense to do so.

Or in some other way consult the gay community in those areas (online forums, support groups, social groups) and get their opinions on those area.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I would recommend that you visit the fair housing website to get some background information on how Realtors work and the laws we are bound by. Your question is valid though and I would recommend that you spend sometime in these communities and get a feeling for each one before you make a major investment in your new home.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
For buyers who feel it necessary to be around people of the same race, familial status, handicap, color, country of origin, gender, religion, or sexual orientation - real estate licensees ain't gonna help you.

The objective of the Fair Housing Act is to have real estate licensees (who are licensed to serve the public, by the way), landlords, housing and housing service providers give equal opportunity to housing and real estate services WITHOUT REGARD to the above classifications.

Basically, WE who are licensed by the state are obliged to treat you as a citizen and prospective homeowner or tenant, and not as a gay / straight / black / white / Catholic / Sunni / et cetera person.

Besides which, if you've ever moved around, you know that what's important is that you find community where you are moving, so call ahead, check out the social scene, make contacts there, and then hope to find a Realtor® who treats you as a Person, rather than whatever subset of the population you can be identified with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
It is illegal in Massachusetts for Realtors to answer questions like those.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
As a lawyer I can assure you that it is not illegal to answer questions like this.
Flag Mon Dec 24, 2012
YOu are the only one who will bring up the issue:
Why would you want to bring up the issue?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
See below. for example: Christine's, Ron's
I will tell you that as a gay male, I grew up in Weston and would not have changed it for anything. Today, Weston, Wayland or Wellesley are very accepting communities when it comes to gays. Many successful gay people live in these communities. These communities are very family oriented, while yet very educated and progressive. Weston/ Wayland/Wellesley have the top schools in the state. Weston is the most expensive town to live in MA so if you can afford to move there, you are golden
Shawn,

As Christine Moran correctly noted, realtors can not answer questions like these or it might be perceived as "steering." However, your question is valid... and my suggestion is to consider working with a gay realtor (several good websites to find gay real estate agents), who can probably best advise you on gay organizations/clubs, etc in the area. Talk to members of these groups and ask for their advice.

Good luck in your search!

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut
Berkshire Property Agents
12 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230
http://www.berkshirepropertyagents.com/
Ron Thomas obviously knows nothing about it. The question is valid and important. Not only for their well being, but also the well being of their kids, if the have any. Buying is a huge investment and their considering the neighborhood w regard to gay friendly is incredibly important.
You will have no issues in any of those towns
After re reading my post I would like to state this in a more clear way. I believe No one need explain there choices. Not mine or anyones... Gay straight are not who we are but what we do... No one can judge either or ... and have freedom to live or move as they please... Do not be defined by such. BLT
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013
I am thinking of moving to one of these towns with my six children... I dont see the need to explain my sexual choices in the bedroom with my husband to all. why do Gays feel the need to discribe themselves by their bedroom choices... Secondly there are no perfect towns I personally would hope one of these would be one with strong moral values verses those who's "religion" is there bedroom behavior ., therefore what they are defined by ... BLT
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013