Mjf9798, Home Buyer in Palm Harbor, FL

I would like to live in an area and there are no homes for sale. Could I mail note cards to home owners that I would like to purchase their home?

Asked by Mjf9798, Palm Harbor, FL Sun Mar 24, 2013

Answers

5
Simply put, yes you can. In fact, this is basically a technique many Realtors use to find folks looking to sell there homes. It's referred to as "farming".
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
Of course you can...but why? Typically this would be part of what a full time professional realtor would do for you, knowing what you are looking for and where, if nothing was available or upcoming. Inventory is tight right now and houses in desirable locations are going quickly. You want to make sure you are prepared to jump on something as soon as it hits the market- having you financing lined up and pre-approved and a professional watching the market for you. If you think its a great home, chances are so will someone else, and the really ready Buyer has the edge.

As far as you personally writing neighbors, I agree with Bob, it will probably weaken your negotiating position. My advice would be to interview some full time professional agents, find someone you are comfortable with, that listens to YOUR needs and have the work with you through the process. There are so many things that can come up, let someone with experience guide you through what is probably life's largest purchase. Best of luck. I feel an informed client makes the best decisions regarding their real estate needs. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
MJ,
What you have expressed is not an uncommon from buyers in the Palm Harbor and Dunedin area. The existing inventory is not satisfactory for many buyers.

I've recently closed on four Palm Harbor/ Dunedin homes from little villas to big water view condos.
And a few months before that, Big Water homes and condos overlooking Boca Ciega Bay. Even when there is no satisfactory inventory, buyers and sellers who enroll in a professional's 'First Look" plan are able to find the homes they want and bypass most of the hysteria.

I feel your question does not adequately reveal the full story.
How are you able to determine what homes are for sale in a community?
Are you working with a professional?
Do you have access to the MLS?
Are you of the belief all homes for sale have a sign in the yard?

That is the great thing about real estate. The buyer and seller have no shortage of options regarding how they choose to go about their home search. Even DIY.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Serious questions merit a phone call
Ann is correct. But that is not always well-received depending on the neighborhood. And personally I believe it severely weakens your negotiating position.
Your probability of success would be enhanced by using the Realtor of your choice to do the farming, Additionally that Realtor can search for potential foreclosures, bank owned homes not on the market and even door-knocking depending on the community (especially since I live in Palm Harbor).
This way your identity remains more private.
Perhaps a quick call would be more enlightening as to your best approach.

Bob Emerick
Broker Associate
Future Home Realty, Inc.
C: 727-709-0161
BobEmerick2@gmail.com
This is done all of the time but normally by real estate agents in an effort to get new listings. In doing so, I would recommend that you disclose that you are not an agent but would like to purchase property in their location.