Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Ger-mike, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

I would like to know,imediately, who posted 4126 Shoshone ST, Denver, Co 80211 for rent for $800. a month. I am owner. No such posting by me.

Asked by Ger-mike, Denver, CO Tue Jul 24, 2012

Answers

11
It's unfair to property owners. But, you have to remain vigilant.

I don't know if we need federal authorities to accept complaints. Maybe services like Craigslist and Trulia could step up their monitoring, if they haven't done so.
Wow! I know that happens on Craig's list a lot, but now trulia? Good to know, but bummer for you.
Hi Ger-mike:

This kind of thing happens far to often anymore. The scam artists want potential renters to send deposits and first month rent. It really is time for the appropriate authorities to get involved because of a lot of innocent people are getting hurt. And, considering the fact that money is changing hands, I cannot imagine it would take to much investigative ingenuity to figure out who is getting the cash. Perhaps it is time for the National Association of Realtors® to put apply pressure to appropriate federal authorities. What do the rest of you think?

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.981.1617
info@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
You could answer their ad and see where it leads. You must be careful though; I am not suggesting you try and catch the offenders yourself without the help of the Police, but answering their ad might give you more information.
Ger-mike,

You are one of the fortunate ones who noticed the scam before something serious happened. I am sure you have contacted Trulia to remove it. Also check on the other sites such as Craigslist to see if they are running this scam there as well. Sorry to hear of your delemna. All the best.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://theRobertMcGuire.com
Dear Ger-
It happens all the time particularly on Craigs list. It si a scam typically run by folks out of country. The usual deal ruins something like, "I am out of the country on a business assignment - western union or overnight me the funds and I will overnight the keys back to you." Scammer receives funds and would be tenant never hears from her or him again. Flag the ad wherever you saw it and make sure it comes down. If you want to spend the time calling the local authorities by all means do so but typically there is nothing they can do about it. You can trace the IP address if you are so inclined and it might lead somewhere but it si doubtful. The most important thing is to monitor Craig's list and wherever else you see the for rent ad and flag it every time it goes up
Best of luck to you
Carole & Greg
Ger....

Sounds like you and your property are part of a scam......our recommendation, begin by contacting the local police. They should be able to get you pointed in the right direction and you will have reported it.

Can't believe someone would do that!
Ger-mike,
You should be commended for your diligence. Some homeowners are unaware such situations exist until the Ryder Truck shows up in the drive way. At that point, there's a family $4,000 poorer and no place to live.

This is one of the reasons both buyers and sellers really need to be working with a professional on both sides. There will be accountability and traceability.

Unfortunately, there are a ger-zillion websites that post real estate information. Aggregate websites, such as Zillow can post clearly incorrect, misleading, fraudulent information with impunity. These aggregate websites swap data allowing the faulty stuff to end up anywhere and living nearly forever. There goal seems to be to say they have a ger-Zillion real estate listing without the need to indicate a ger-Zillion/2 are fake.

As a home seller, you may choose to go the route many brokerages are choosing to protect the home seller. That is, they are choosing NOT to syndicate the listing, which means ONLY websites with some understanding of data integrity will receive the listing and FORBIDDEN to forward to other sites.

This makes the process of hijacking a home for sale by the con artists much more difficult and labor intensive. The crooks will always find a way to victimize the consumer who choose to circumvent the safeguards in place for their benefit. For these, the con-artist look for intentionally.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420. 4041
Let's chat real estate on: http://www.RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Ger-mike, this is a VERY common scam in the industry. Usually overseas con artists trying to collect deposits due to the incredible strong rental market where potential renters will do almost anything to get a place. It has happened to my For Sale listings before, but almost always with craigslist. Did you post there? This will be the first I have heard of this on trulia. Sorry to hear the news, but do want to let you know what you ran into.
Where was the ad posted? This is a very common scam on Craig's List. You need to let the administrators of the website know and flag the post as a scam of spam or inappropriate. Unfortunately this happens all the time, especially with homes that are for sale. It's some group of foreign con artists. They steal the realtors' photos and then post the property for rent on Craig's List saying they have been transferred out of the country for their job or they are missionaries to some foreign land and to fill out this application and send your first month's rent and security deposit by wire transfer to an off shore bank. What is even more unbelievable is that people do it! I have heard stories of people showing up with a lease and a moving van only to find out they have been had and now they have nowhere to live and no money.

Please, do us all a favor and report this to the administrators of the website.