Home Buying in Boca Raton>Question Details

Qute, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

I would like to know if purchasing a home in the US would that then allow you to be permanent resident

Asked by Qute, Brooklyn, NY Sun Apr 1, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Kimeta. Purchasing a home in the US by itself would not automatically allow you to become a permanent US resident. However, there is an EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program that does. There are specific requirements for qualification. All EB-5 investors must invest in a new commercial enterprise.
Commercial enterprise means any for-profit activity formed for the ongoing conduct of lawful business including, but not limited to:

A sole proprietorship
Partnership (whether limited or general)
Holding company
Joint venture
Business trust or other entity, which may be publicly or privately owned

There are specific US job creation requirements and minimum cash investment guidelines. Please see
http://www.uscis.gov for further information on this and other immigration issues. If you need referral to an immigration attorney, please me know.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Darla Schroeder is right. Follow her advise.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
The answer is "NO". Even the EB-5 program cannot promise you housing, only investment. The US CIS (Immigration Services) is very strict about it. If anybody tells you otherwise, they are not well informed or honest. I know, because I am a naturalized citizen myself, and I have a lot of foreign friends/buyers/investors.
You may have other options getting a green card though.
Marsha Umansky
PRAG Realtors, Inc
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
Kimeta- There is a Program that Allows for this but in very limited cases and
is NEVER autumatic! Whatever posibilities exist would be within the
EB-5 Program. There is an invetment " threshold " minimum involved,
background and credit requirements too ! Minimum investment
was at last look $500.000 USD.
Thel"legalistics" involved in the purchase of a house here and
Immigration visa procesing are not related so you may want to
get solid Imigration Legal Advice first ! More information on the
EB-5 program using the link below:


Web Reference: http://www.pbc-realcam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Hi, Kimeta-

While there was a recent proposal to issue green cards to foreign nationals who paid at least $500,000 for a home, nothing has yet come of that idea.

If you want to find a home in Boca Raton, and you wish to become a U.S. citizen, you may want to speak to an immigration attorney and ask about EB5 and E2 programs.

You can buy a Boca Raton home even if you are not a U.S. citizen. There are no restrictions on who can purchase a home in Boca.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Kimeta, there has been some talk in Congress about creating such a program, but I doubt it will ever happen. There are some real estate agents and other people talking up the idea, but I suggest you focus on other opportunities. Talk to an immigration attorney regarding what your options are.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Thanks Ann
Flag Mon Apr 2, 2012
No. You can only stay here as long as your visa allows.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 1, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer