Home Buying in Capitol Hill>Question Details

Msgenesis, Other/Just Looking in Capitol Hill, Washin...

I would like to create a bed and breakfast in a residential area. Will i be allowed to do that?

Asked by Msgenesis, Capitol Hill, Washington, DC Fri Sep 3, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Try David's online links. Faster, better and there are zoning maps you can view.
Good luck! Let us know when you open!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 11, 2010
Depends on the zoning for where the property. I would contact the town. Find out what the zoning classification is & ask for a detailed description of what uses are permitted.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
DC is a great place for a bed and breakfast. I have noticed some mixed into residential areas, zoning can be different from block to block.

There are two important departments you'll need to contact about basic information to get started. The fist one is the DC Department of Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) to obtain a license. http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA

Then you will need to contact the DC Office of Zoning, I've attached this site as well for you (http://dcoz.dc.gov/info/map.shtm). Please call me if you have any questions.

I know of some great places in DC that may be a good fit for your business needs, and would love to discuss it further with you.

Best of luck!

David Corson
(202) 674-1671 cell
(703) 888-1463 office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
That is going to depend on what the zoning for where the property is located is zoned for. If it's zoned just for residential, then most likely the answer is no. If it's zoned mixed use, then you may be able to. You will need to check with the zoning board for the city to find out what is allowed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
There are several great bed and breakfast through out Washington DC neighborhoods. One being in the Bloomingdale section of Ledroit Park. I'm sure with the correct license and permits etc... you will be able to do the same.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010

Hmm.......interesting question!

We find that issues of this nature are often a "toss up" depending on your particuar locality. Our recommendation is to defer this to the local zoning governance and be on the safe side.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
My guess is, no. You'll need to call the city zoning commission Tuesday!
Web Reference: http://www.jimmccowan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer