gunner_meb, Home Owner in Kirkland, WA

I would like to change from a septic system to sewer how much will it cost

Asked by gunner_meb, Kirkland, WA Thu Jul 5, 2012

Answers

8
I live in the recently incorporated section of Kirkland. I connected my sewer last year. The permit from Northshore UD was about $7000 based on the size of your water line. Then I needed a permit for $300+ from the county to dig up the 10' section of MY driveway that fell on county property. Excavation was $10000 for about 60' but 14+ feet down. Then the section of my driveway that fell on county land had to be backfilled with 3/8- crushed rock (14' of it!) and topped with 4" of pavment. Then you have to actually connect the house to it which will require a plumber or, if you are handy and get a permit, you can do it yourself. I did and it was fairly easy. Then you get a monthly bill for about $50 and a bill every three months for about $150 for the "Brightwater" plant...for 16 years! I only did all of this because I was planning an addition to my home that would add 2 bathrooms. Otherwise I would leave it alone and just take care of your septic system.
If you contact the Sewer & Septic Department at the City of Kirkland that will be a good place to start. Here is their web address:

http://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/Public_Works/Sewer___Septic.htm

This web page will give you some good info and phone nubmers for the public works group.

Good luck with it!

Stephanie Clancy
Coldwell Banker Bain
(206) 915-8800
StephanieClancyEstates.com
I should have asked why you want to change? Some districts will charge for sewer if it's in the street, even if you are not connected. But if not, then you'll just be adding a large monthly charge to your bill. Sewer typically costs more than water, and if you garden, you'll pay sewer rates on your garden water.

In contrast, having to pump a septic tank ever 3-5 years isn't that bad.
First, there's the King County Capacity charge, addressed here:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/kary_l_krismer/2012/04/10_000_hid…

Fortunately that is paid over time.

Then the local utility may have a separate connection charge. You'll have to check with them and see their terms on payment.

Finally there's the actual cost of getting the trench dug and pipe laid.
Call the City of Kirkland Sewer dept and they can locate sewer line in street for your property
and give you cost to City to hook up and other requirements.
Mary
I had a client who was in the Juanita area of Kirkland on Septic. The home was about 30 feet from the curb and lot was about .15 acres. The cost estimates he was receiving were closer to $14,000. If you call City of Kirkland you will have better luck at narrowing down what is required. Additionally, you can call several different septic companies to secure bids, feel free to email me if you would like some recommendations stacey@searchseattle.net - I have another client who just had this done in Woodinville and I am happy to see who proved most affordable with his bids - let me know!
I am planning on going switching to sewer, I just bought a house and for some reason it passed inspection without even testing it. Now I am having major problems with the septic going off even if the water is not being used. I only live in my home for about a month and a half.
Flag Wed Nov 26, 2014
Assuming you have a sewer line in front of your house, you have to reroute the house sewage pipe from the septic tank to the sewer line. If your current septic tank is located near the sewer line, not much of a problem and relatively cheap. Unfortunately I had a septic tank located in the back yard with no access to the front except by tearing out the rear wall of the garage and cutting thru 4" of concrete garage flooring and down a 75' concrete driveway and burying a new sewer pipe from the septic tank to the sewer line. Also had to render the septic tank safe by crushing its roof and filling with sand., Costs more than $10,000.
I went through that; I'm sorry to say:
They told me that digging from the Septic Tank to the street and hooking it up was totally on me:
I got two quotes; $5000 and $13000! Yikes!!

I stayed with Septic and had it cleaned out for $800, which lasted 6-7 years.

Good luck and may God bless