Tan, Home Buyer in 11373

I would like to buy 2 br co-op but it on the first floor of nice building my friend said do not buy first floor apartment.

Asked by Tan, 11373 Mon Jun 27, 2011

Please tell me more about good and bad part of first floor co-op.

Answers

6
Not everyone is the same. Maybe your friend would be uncomfortabel with a first floor unit because they think it safer higher up. Others feel if there is a fire or some emergency it is easier to get out from a first floor apt. Some don't like the top floor, in case of attack.
My suggestion is that you do what is best for you and not your friend. I am sure your friend means well. But what makes the happy make not make you happy. Thank them for the advice and think about what you would be most comfortable with.
Please feel free to contact me at any time to let me know how I may be of help to you.

Fajardo Delacruz
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
I would have to agree with the other realtors on this... Its preference.. like anything else there will be pros and cons, but the biggest things about buying property for personal use is its "feel" for you. There is no sense on buying something you dont feel comfortable in. It doesnt matter where the property is located.. at the end of a long day at work, you have to ask yourself if this is a place I can call "home" If you plan on using it as an investment property, I can say that, if all things being equal when you turn around to sell it and there are other properties for sale that are similar (price, sq. ft., condition etc.) then it will most likely take longer to sell.
The big question is safety. Can people look into your windows? Do you need bars to feel comfortable? If not, the first floor is a matter of preference.
Hi Tan,
Basically Anna is correct. If you like the first floor apartment and are happy with the price then buy it. In a highrise or even a mid-rise with a good view, higher floors are more desirable. But that is mostly true because of the view. As an appraiser and an agent there is a very small premium in value/price the higher you go. Most buildings also charge additional maintenance for each floor.
But then of coarse there are people who are afraid of heights! They naturally prefer the lower floors.
In the end you may get a little less when you sell in the future. But you should also pay a little less when you buy now. If you need any help finding an apartment contact me. I work in Queens and Nassau counties.
Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R.E.
Licensed R.E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
516-791-3846
allen.bauman@gmail.com
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another. If you like the unit, no reason not to consider it--upper/lower floors are really a matter of preference, both have pros and cons, therefore buy what you like and know you'll be happy living in, regardless of floor level...