Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Haley Cabrera, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

I would like to buy a house in Portland, but I want somewhere that has a "woodsy", vegetative feel to it. What neighborhoods have this?

Asked by Haley Cabrera, Indianapolis, IN Sun Jan 30, 2011

Thanks.

Answers

14
The west side has some great woodsy areas but the prices will keep you from buying unless 900 sq ft or less would work. Many areas have woodsy feel but it depends what you want your commute to be. The farther you go out of town like 40 miles you can live at the base of Mt Hood foothills and have a 45 minute drive to town. The eastside of town has the better prices for property. Milwaukie would be a great place to look with homes in the mid $150,000 that are 1,000 sq ft. Location plays a part in price and close in areas we still have a shortage of homes and ones that are priced under $300,000 with the median price now down to $230 from over $300,000 last year. Treeed areas are great but they block the sunny days we have. Today the crist clean windy weather makes Portland clear and 45 degrees what a great day to live in Oregon.
Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
503-319-9035
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 1, 2011
Hi Haley,

I think you will love Portland for it's friendly culture and lush green landscape! And, there is a nice slection of homes in your target price range at this time.

Two East side neighborhoods that have a more rural feel, yet are still convenient and within the city proper are the "Cully" neighborhood (zip code: 97218) in NE Portland and the "Woodstock" neighborhood, where I live in SE Portland (zip code: 97206). The Cully neighborhood is culturally diverse, has an active neighborhood association and a community garden ("Rigler Community Garden"). My neighborhood, the Woodstock neighborhood, offers safe, quiet streets and several parks including Berkeley, Brentwood and Woodstock. It is also very near to the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
(http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?Propert…) as well as the lovely campus of Reed College (http://www.reed.edu/).

I love calling Portland home! I myself am a transplant (from the San Francisco-Bay Area of CA). I was drawn to Portland’s beauty, creative and entrepreneurial spirit, quality of life and vibrancy. I know what it takes to immerse oneself in a new city. So, I am especially focused upon helping people who are relocating to Portland find their perfect home. I am well-acquainted with Portland’s central and inner East-side neighborhoods. And, I have my ‘finger is on the pulse’ of what’s happening in Portland-- I really enjoy exploring our city’s best in attractions, culture, events, restaurants and shops.

I hope this information was helpful Haley. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I wish you the very best for a smooth transition and a wonderful life in Portland!

Maureen

Maureen A. Kenney, Broker
Realty Trust Group, Inc. (Hollywood)
(503) 577-2729
mkenney@realtytrust.com
http://www.realtytrust.com/maureenkenney
Licensed in the State of Oregon

The finest compliment I can receive is a referral by you!
SW Portland in the "west hills" is the largest woodsy area in Portland proper.
Haley,

Knowing that there is a smaller hospital, Willamette Falls and a lot of satellite offices here in Oregon City, Clackamas is home to Kaiser, Tualatin has Legacy and Milwaukie has Providence. All are suburbs of Portland Metro and have the woodsy feel and great schools.
There are some great neighborhoods in Portland that have the feel that you are looking for! There are at least 6 hospitals close in Se, SW, NE, and N. With that their are WAY to many clinics to count. Also there are hospitals located in Oregon City, Milwaukie, Beaverton, Clackamas and several clinics. These area are all really close to Portland as well. I have a medical background so I am very familiar with medical facilities! Portland is such an amazing city!
Heather
Real Estate Broker
Corri and Marvin, I appreciate your input. As has been suggested, it might be a little more helpful if I describe my situation. I do not want to be too far away from the city because I am a Medical Assistant, so I would need to be in close proximity to a hospital, health clinic or any sort of healthcare office. I have two children who are preschool age, so I would also like to be located in a very reputable school system for my girls. Those are my top priorities. Thank you again, everyone, for all of your help!
Haley there are MANY areas around here that fit your specifications. It would mean sending a lot of information to you. There are many short sale/foreclosure properties for sale. (To those reading this who dont realize it, buying shorts and foreclosed properties doesnt mean stealing a place! The lenders are being floated by our tax money so they can take homes back and have the time to sell them, so they are being hard-nosed and holding onto values. You dont see 'pennies on the dollar' any longer.) What it DOES mean is that there are more homes available at true current market value or a little less than regular sellers. Because Oregon as been so depressed, real estate values have dropped enough to be much more affordable then prior to 2007 or so when we were following Calif into the clouds with pricing. If possible, Id fly out here to take a week and look around. I wish Id done that before moving here from Calif some years ago. We have an area named Lake Oswego that has very expensive homes but surrounding it are nicely priced properties that bleed from an actual Lake Oswego address to a Portland address. Ive seen areas there that go from a 'woodsy' feel to downright end of the earth seclusion yet are very close to all public amenities but without the Lake Oswego pricing.. The west side will generally have more woods type properties and the east side will have more large parcel sizes. Ptlnd is pretty much divided into quarters. Each could be its own city. I do mini-appraisals for lenders who are foreclosing. Its called a BPO or Broker Price Opinion. I do hundreds of these and could be a blind taxi driver, knowing very well the exact values of homes in all parts of Portland. I drive hundreds of miles within a 20 mile square to look at homes daily.

I like Toms answer about your other needs---this is important. Portland is very congested and cant get any better. If commute is a concern for you then its a big factor to consider. Aside from answering your direct question witha simple answer, there is MUCH to be considered here. Bottom line is YES there are many woodsy feeling areas. NO they probably dont all fit your needs even if they are all at an affordable price. Need you to elaborate on your full needs. Except for one area mentioned by one agent that may not not fit, everyone had good advice. Choose one to be your BUYERS BROKER to represent you by interviewing them. Anyone can find a house, thats what the MLS is for and newspapers, etc. Not everyone can correctly represent you. The only reason real estate people have jobs is because lawyers dont want to drive people around to look at houses! You want one who deals with rules and contracts to make a transaction fun instead of a nightmare from mistakes. Thats not a solicitation---just general advice.

Marvin Von Renchler
Serving for 31 years.
The Mt Tabor area in SE Portland might be area to check out as well. Good luck and welcome to Oregon!
Thank you so much for your advice Kevin. I will definitely look at the options you've given me, and will get in touch with you when we decide to make our move. Moving from Indiana to somewhere we aren't familiar with could prove daunting, but it would be nice to be in touch with a relocation specialist.
Hi Haley,
I bought my home in Portland with that exact same criteria as you mentioned. I wanted to be within the Portland boundaries yet still have the "woodsy" greenspace feel to it.
May I recommend looking around Kelly Butte. There are alot of great homes for sale in this neighborhood that sits at the base of this nature park. Forest Park has homes surrounded in the trees, although those home prices will most likely be above $250k. Also, if you take SE Foster going east, it gets really dense with trees east of the 205 Fwy. I think you would love that feel. To give you a much better idea of Portland and it's great neighborhoods check out this neighborhood page -
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/

I'm a Portland relocation specialist and here to help.
Kevin Levy
503-267-7535
M Realty
RelocationToPortland.com
Thank you to those who have provided answers to my question. I appreciate it. It gives me a lot to think about.
Don't know if you got your answer so here goes. If you are looking close in Woodstock would be my first thought. If you will go further away from the core area I would look in Milwaukie. There are great areas between Milwaukie and Oregon City over to Clackamas. The other thought is SW Portland... Burlingame, Multnomah, Raleigh Hills area. All will depend on what you need in a home... remember location is the key so if you can adjust your expectations with that in mind 250K might get you in the "woodsy" setting you desire. Call if you need anything further.
Linda 503-502-9390
My budget would be about $250,000. Thanks.
All is based on what your lender would qualify you for which could narrow your search down.