Aimar Recard…, Home Buyer in 92115

I wonder why Central San diego has so many house and condos with flat or almost flat roofs ? It gives the area a real cheap look and poor comfort.

Asked by Aimar Recardio, 92115 Thu Oct 11, 2012

Answers

9
Hi Aimar,
Some people like the flat roofs! To each their own. If you prefer a craftsman style, there are plenty of options in North Park, South Park and Mission Hills...

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
You can re-roof, but you'll have to use materials that are meant for the existing pitch, if any. For a flat roof, composition shingles are out, for example. You could always add to the pitch, but it wouldn't be cheap. I've seen beautiful flat roofed houses.

Many of these houses aren't kept up either, so it doesn't do anything for curb appeal in the neighborhood. An updated house color and pretty manicured landscaping will make a world of difference. And, once one house updates, you'll see a ripple effect in the neighborhood. It happened on our street. We're on a pretty visible corner, and after we re-stuccoed and took out our lawn for a pretty drought tolerant yard, other houses did the same, and values rose, especially for updated homes. I didn't have an expensive landscape designer either. I went to the Cuyamaca spring festival, and got a 20 minute consult with a landscape designer, then planted everything myself. If you can dig a hole, you can add a beautiful landscape!

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Lic # 01443391
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
Because most of central San Diego was built in the 1940's - 1960's and a flat or almost flat roof was indicative of the "Mid-Century Modern" style, very popular in California (as well as Spanish style). Also very common in these homes are wood ceilings, exposed beams, wide roof overhangs (great for SD as they provide cooling in the summer when the sun is high, but allow the sun in in winter when the sun is low in the sky), HUGE picture windows, and also high windows of extreme rectangular shapes ex: 6'wide by 2' high only a few inches from the ceiling, (to let the light in without letting people see into the home and also giving additional wall area) I LOVE this and have a mid-century modern house myself. Your finding the look 'cheap' is simply your aesthetic. Google Mid-Century modern homes and you just might fall in love with they style as I did.
Hi Aimar,

Check out this link for more specific info. It's a roofing company web site, but there are Q & A's regarding flat roofs and California code.

http://www.evansroofing.com/How-Can-We-Help-/FAQ-s.aspx

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cory
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
As mentioned many of these homes are in older areas and the houses often have far more challenges than a flat roof. I do believe it comes down to preference; however, the fact is your can move (change) the roof....far more difficult to move the house to a new location. I am a huge advocate of buying a home WHERE you want to live and fixing everything else. An FHA 203K renovation loan is a prefect solution for many cosmetic and structural challenges.

Deborah Garvin
(619) 787-8212
It's part of older construction - very common among the 1940's and 1950's houses. I don't like them because of frequent leaking issues - that said...if you love the house, you can always put a new roof on it!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Yes, Donny it is a rather ridiculous question but he still has a right to ask it. Last I checked this is still America. Have we all forgotten that San Diego was a very entrenched Military town during WWII and the Korean War? There was a lot of "Barracks" style low cost temporary and/or officer and family housing going on from the 40's to the early 60's

Additionally, there are a lot of areas in San Diego that have become very old if not blighted and unfortunately are not in the path of progress at this time. Equally as unfortunate it will take another RE growth boom to pull a lot of these communities out of the mire and into a more aggressive gentrification mode.

In the meantime prudent investors who realize the value of building solid rental portfolios will continue buying and holding these properties until such time that the market starts turning around and folks begin to once again realize just what a paradise San Diego is compared to most of the world. It may not happen in my lifetime but it will happen. San Diego will become one of the most sought after places in the world to live.
Hi Aimar,

Many of the homes in Central San Diego were built in the late 50's to early 60's. The style is mid century architecture. Residential Mid-Century modern architecture is frequently referred to as the California Modern style. It's what was popular 50 years ago. If you have a specific look in mind please feel free to contact me I'm sure I can help you track it down.

Jessica Tangen
SD Homes
619-459-5869
http://www.JessicaTangen.com
CA DRE#01391056
Aimar,

It is what it is, that is why we need more people like you to start buying and remodeling the area and I would like to be the REALTOR to help you,

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516