Eliana Cristi, Other/Just Looking in Clearwater, FL

I will retire soon and want to settle in Central Florida (Clearwater, Tampa, Orlando) with my elderly mother,

Asked by Eliana Cristi, Clearwater, FL Sun Mar 22, 2009

who lives in Australia, where I transferred in recent years.

I am a professional woman who spent a lifetime assisting disadvantaged communities in poor countries. Thus, my financial resources limit my housing options at retirement.

I have three questions:
1. What are the chances of finding a 2bed/2bath single level/townhouse in a safe community, near shops and transport in the 50k-70k range?
2. Any recommendations regarding communities with manageable HOA and other quarterly costs… counties/cities with lower property taxes?
3. Is it feasible to find a suitable home and complete all the steps of the purchase process in 6 weeks (Sep-Oct)

Your feedback is welcome.

Chris

Answers

3
Hi Chris. I commend you on your life work helping disadvantaged communities. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! I would love to help find a home in Pinellas County for you and your mother. It is entirely possible to find a condo or townhouse (more likely a condo) within the price range you describe, near shops and transport. As an example, please check out my website, http://www.darlaschroeder.com. Look under "featured listing" and open the "Kenneth City" Willow Lake property description and visual tour. This 1400 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, furnished, 1st floor unit, overlooks a pond and is move-in ready. The Willow Lake complex is within easy walking distance to grocery and other shopping and a bus stop is very near by. The monthly maintenance (which includes everything except electricity) is $255.00. The 2008 property tax, without homestead was $1,633, based on a relatively low mileage rate of .019. The owner paid only $419 in 2008 because of exemptions. The 2009 tax without homestead should be lower than $1,633 because market values have dropped significantly since previous assessment. If you purchase a home before 12/31/08 and file for homestead then or at least before March 2009, you will be entitled to homestead exemption in 2009.
This condo in Willow Lake just went under contract recently and is within the price range you describe.
It is just a sample of one of many bargain price properties currently on the market. It is feasible to find a suitable home and complete all steps of the purchase process in 6 weeks or less. Unless you plan to pay cash, you'll need to have financing plan in place before seriously searching. Please feel free to contact me any time to discuss a plan for your home search and to answer any other questions you may have.

Darla Schroeder, Realtor, GRI, e-PRO
4350 Duhme Rd
Madeira Beach, FL 33708
Toll free: (800) 866-6032
darla.schroeder@century21.com
1. Your chances are good if you are purchasing a Bank Owned property.
2. Yes, Tampa has numerous properties that fit these parameters. We would be happy to present options to you.
3. Yes it is realistic.

SI Real Estate has a team member who specializes in BANK owned properties, who can find the very best values in Tampa Bay for our buyers. Let us know if we can help you. It would be prudent to have a pre-qualification by a serious mortgage professional or lender in order to know your parameters. Let us know if you would like a referral.

Nibal Elsaadi
SI Real Estate Investments
720 E. Fletcher Avenue, Suite 212
Tampa, FL 33612
Office: 813.631.5144
http://www.SIRealEstateInvestments.com
Sales@SIRealEstateInvestments.com
Eliana,
Great question.
1.Yes the Condo market is now very affordable with lots of selection.
2.Depends on where you wish to live Tampa or Orlando. In Orlando,Lake Nona,Avalon Park,Waterford Lakes to name a few
3. closing can be done in the 4-6 week range.
Hope this helps.
Realtor Rick.