Home Buying in Wilbraham>Question Details

Carol Thomps…, Home Buyer in Hampden, MA

I will not be able to buy for a year. When should I start the search?

Asked by Carol Thompson, Hampden, MA Sun Feb 22, 2009

Answers

8
What prevent you from start looking around-credit, income, employment, assets, or personal situation?
If your answer is credit or assets, I may have some ideas to get you ready. Call 413-547-6180 to discuss.

Andrew Inglot
Advance Group Inc
Good. Prices will be lower when you are ready. I would just rent until prices come back to normal. No reason to try to chase the market down.
I would start paying attention to your home search now. It takes a few months to see what is happening in your market. You start monitoring what is happening in the area you wish to live and you will become informed. This will later help you identify a home and help guide you to making a decision that is wise.

Once you find a buyer agent get set-up with their online search account. This will provide you a daily update on new listings, price changes, and you will notice the homes that go under agreement fitting your criteria. After a few months or when you see a home you like go to the open house or visit the home with your agent. You will get a good feel for the neighborhoods and the types of homes you like.

As time goes on increase your involvement. Keep in mind to close on a home can take 2-3 months after the initial offer. So get more active visiting homes fitting your criteria 4-6 months before. Many of our buyer clients start their search a year in advance to make sure they make a wise decision.

I would be happy to recommend a strong buyer agent local to your area.
Ultimately, I guess what everyone is telling you is that it totally depends on the circumstance. Why won't you be buying for a year? Must you buy in a year? Do you have a home you would need to sell? How much are you looking to invest?

It doesn't hurt to start learning the market. You have the time, why not make the most of it? Of course, it depends on your personality and just how much into the details you really want to get. And, of course, we are currently in rather volatile times, so just remember that various parameters could change on you over time.

Navigating the ins and outs of the Massachusetts Real Estate guidelines, rules and regulations can be fascinating to some and daunting to others. It doesn't hurt to find a real estate professional with whom you can work well. As recommended below, take the time to interview a couple and find someone with whom you really click. A good way to find a good agent near you is to ask someone who has recently purchased a home. Generally, members of the National Association of Realtors will come with good references.

As with everyone else, if I can be of more help, don't hesitate to "call".
Web Reference: http://www.commonmoves.com
Carol,
If you're planning to close on your home in a year, then I would suggest beginning your actual search of a home about 4 months before. That should give you plenty of time to find the perfect home, make an offer, and go through the loan and closing process. You don't want to start any earlier than that because if a seller can't wait to close until you're ready, you don't want to fall in love with the perfect house that's no longer available.

Noah Seidenberg.
I absolutely agree with the other agents. If you are unfamiliar with how buyer's agency works check out the Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.thebostonhometeam.com/faq.php to learn the basics. Interview at least three agents before you pick the right one.
GREAT FOR YOU START NOW

It assists a realtor when we work with buyers who know :
a) What type of home
b) Area of town
c) Personal preference
d) Short / long term goals home ownership
e) Room count

Much more, attend open houses, builders models get an idea.

NEVER PURCHASE a home DIRECT FROM: bank, builder, listing agent, seller (FSBO) have your own realtor represent you.

Dallas Real Estate Agent, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit repair consultant
– Lynn A. Crosby
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi Carol:

Start your search by finding a great buyers agent. They will walk you through the process, begin to educate you and make recommendations for the rest of your team, mortgage broker, hone inspector , attorney.

Go to Realtor.com, search for realtors and select search for realtor with abr designation.

Rob