Home Buying in Freeport>Question Details

Rose Williams, Home Buyer in Freeport, NY

I will like to know about Guy Lombardo Ave in Freeport New York. Is there basement flooding in this area if so how bad?

Asked by Rose Williams, Freeport, NY Mon Nov 26, 2012

Answers

3
Most of the time, any street flooding due to high tides, occurs south of Atlantic Avenue. It varies from street to street. Street flooding rarely involves basement flooding. That's on a house to house basis. (Many houses in the waterfront area do not have basements.)
During Hurricane Sandy, the most recent storm, flooding occurred in places that never flooded before. That includes north of Atlantic Avenue on Guy Lombardo Avenue. Again, some basements flooded and some did not.
Why do you ask? Are you considering buying or renting a home in South Freeport? If you want to talk to me about homes in Freeport (or anywhere on the south shore of Nassau County) please give me a call at 516-410-3000 and I will be happy to tell you anything you want to know about a neighborhood. (By the way, as a Buyer's Agent I represent YOU, not the seller, so I can provide a lot of information that the seller's agent cannot.)
It would depend on how far south you are. During Superstorm Sandy the water came up to Archer St. which was a first and I've been in Freeport since 1965. Anyone south of Atlantic Ave would be affected and would be required to have flood insurance if they have a mortgage.

Please note that flood insurance doesn't cover contents in a basement. Traditionally only the boilder and HW heater would be covered. You can check your policy to see if there's coverage for your washer and dryer. During Sandy my circuit breaker boxes were under the water so they would be covered for this damage as well on my policy.

Be sure to contact http://www.disasterassist.gov for more help.
Much will depend on exact location....