Home Buying in Harlem>Question Details

Raffles, Home Buyer in New York

I will like to buy in a condo on Central Park North. Is 110th/5th Avenue, 110th West safe these days? Are there still frequent shootings?

Asked by Raffles, New York Mon Jan 21, 2013

I checked the police precinct reports, but doubt if everything is reported. I will appreciate if you can share your thoughts (especially if you live bordering CPN areas). Many Thanks.

Answers

21
Murders in New York have dropped to their lowest level in over 40 years. Of the 400 murders in 2012, 223 were gunshot victims, 84 victims were stabbed to death, 43 died of blunt trauma and 11 died of asphyxiation. More of the 400 homicides occurred on a Saturday than any other day, followed by early Sunday morning.

More occurred between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. than any other time. People were more likely to be killed outside than in. Nearly 70 percent of the victims had prior criminal arrests. So here it is primarily criminals killing other criminals. The likelihood of being killed by a stranger is slight. in fact more people commit suicide than are killed in NYC.

In the last two decades, New York City has seen an unprecedented reduction in crime. NYC now ranks as the nation's safest big city. Among the top ten most populous states in the U.S., New York ranks first - with less than half the number of crimes per 100,000 residents as Florida.

NY state just passed the toughest gun control laws in the country.

Crime increased slightly because of a rise in thefts — a phenomenon based solely on robberies of iPhones and other Apple devices.

The most breathtaking views of Central Park can be seen from Central Park North apartments because the views face south down the entire leghnth of the park to Downtown Manhattan. Manhattan is hilly and Central Park North is on high ground looking down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/nyregion/414-homicides-is-…

Mitchell Hall
Lic. Assoc. RE Broker
Corcoran
917.312.0924
MHALL@Corcoran.com
http://nycblogestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 21, 2013
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
You can set up a crime watch alert on this site for free. Gives you a good idea of what is going on in a specific neighborhood.

http://spotcrime.com/
Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; therefore if unfamiliar with the area take the time and revisit more than once and at different times of day; possibly chat with locals/neighbors....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
Raffles, agent are prohibited from answering such questions even if they had the answers. If you can't trust the precinct report then I don't know what you can trust. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 21, 2013
i have an apt in harlem and i will happy to rent for you just mail me on owen.hurley@hotmail.com so i can send you the pics
Several weeks ago I was at a meeting consisting of condo owners just north of 110th & fifth. The concern was a daytime shooting in which an adult female bystander was wounded. The conversation turned to Police Stop and Frisk. I reminded them that if they want to really antagonize the majority Black and Brown population of the community then supporting the NYPD policy was a great way to go.

Everyone has a right to see an investment mature, but you must also acknowledge risk. The density of the public housing in the area is a significant part of that risk. I also explained that when addressing issues of gun violence that it is necessary to be specific. I provided an example of a youth basketball tournament that the community agreed to terminate because of the direct correlation between the teenagers gathering in mobs after the games and the subsequent shootings.

As a third generation Harlem resident with graduate degrees in biotechnology, computer science and statistics I don't need police reports or NYPD stats to tell me what's going on in the community. If you are nice to people they will respect and support you. If you come with passive aggression and condescension then you will receive hostility.
Hi Lsbrath,
Thanks for your thoughts. I understand your point, and agree that being respectful and harmonious are key to all good human relationships in life. Do you see the area changing (for better or worse) as a third generation harlem resident?
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Hello Raffles here is a website that could help you out also send me an email I'll show you what is available in the area. Rolando@citysolutions.com thanks

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/new-york/crime/
Crime reports that other brokers recommended have all the statistics, etc., which are important to know. I would also get a feel of the neighborhood and visit it several times at different time of the day on the weekend, as well as during a week to understand if you feel comfortable and safe in this neighborhood.
As a x FBI all i can tell is its getting better than before. yes its still not Florida but all that low income housing projects mostly produce is top class drug dealers. Coke mostly. and that results in shooting.some thing always goes wrong in a deal some where. Although the ground reality is much better than few years ago on crime shooting still is on. Not that safe for family. as still 10-20% shooting is still a rick of 10% for family. more worst all these so called High end buyers buy thinking its High class. Thats the exact reason the Coke dealers have moved in to Target High end kids & teens for they know if dad and mom can buy 1 m$ apartment, they can milk the $ out of the kids. find a nice area suburb to build a family . NY is the best.
Hi, You can visit http://www.SpotCrime.com and http://www.CrimeReports.com for street specific crimes. I live in the area and love it.
I would suggest the NYPD website, the area is close to the park and transportation. Depending on our budget there might be units in that area as well as other areas. If there's anything I can assist with feel free to contact me anytime, best of luck.

Tony Lara
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg Realty
127 East 56th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-1000 x 435 (tel)
There are still frequent shootings in the neighborhood. Gun controls measures won't stop that.
Yes, there are still frequent shootings.
Hello Raffles, 110th St. & 5th Ave is a border line between the 28th Precinct and the 23rd Precinct. The west side of 5th would be served by the 28th Pct., the east side by the 23rd Pct. Below are links to latest, and most accurate crime statistics for both;
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/…
I am a seller's/buyer's agent; it's completely illegal in NY State to discuss what neighborhoods are or are not "safe" (according to fair housing laws). Legally, we can't even tell a customer whether or not the schools in the area are considered "good"; we can only refer you to external links and places to do your own research. In general, a lot of it is subjective anyway.

My own home is about 8 blocks from the area you're interested in. I love living here, and can give you information on any number of properties within a stone's throw. The development in the neighborhood has been tremendous within the past several years, and I believe it to be the best value in Manhattan in terms of what you get for the money you invest, as well as the convenience to transportation to the rest of the city.

I love Harlem/Morningside. Give me a call if you'd like to talk about living or investing in the area.

-Kate-
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
New York, NY
I have great listings I could show you there. Give me a call or email me and I'll show you all the listings in that area that would fit your needs
I have some nice properties that you might be interested in. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353.
Yes to your first question.
No to your second question.
Hello, there is a lots of opportunitis to purchase a home in that area. Many new developments are going on at this time. Not knowing your budget, and not knowing what type of home you are looking for I can only tell you, I wish you best of luck.
Thanks a lot
The area you are considering is undergoing a dramatic transformation. Although there are a number of low income housing projects in the area, all you need to do is see One Museum Mile, a beautiful development on Fifth Avenue in the area. Prices range from $2,000,000 and go as high as $5,000,000. However, there are a number of well priced opportunities that may work for you. You will be solicited by a number of real estate agents as a result of your question, so choose carefully. If you would like to discuss further my team can certainly be of assistance. Either way, best of luck to you.

Dan Geller
President
Geller Group at Keller Williams NYC
425 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022
o: (646) 737-9665
c: (917) 733-5587
e: dgeller@kwnyc.com
http://www.luxuryrealestatesalesnyc.com
There are a lot of gorgeous residential blocks between Columbus an Central Park West, all he way up to 110th street. Personally I feel safe there, even when showing late at night.