Scubagal, Home Buyer in Massachusetts Avenue...

I will be working in the Pentagon and am looking at living in Glover Park in NW DC. Any advice on potential problems with that commute?

Asked by Scubagal, Massachusetts Avenue Heights, Washington, DC Sun Oct 18, 2009

Answers

5
Glover Park is on the metro bus route of several lines & the Circulator bus. The walkscore for this area is 88 & the public transit score is 57 - with several car shares & bike shares. The Metro's red line is about 1 mile away. You may also find carpool shares through Glover Park's listserv. There are many great homes for sale in Glover Park, what would you like see?
The Washington Homes Group at Evers & Co. 202-333-4257
Hey Scubagal,

Having worked on Capitol Hill for 8 years while living in Annandale, I used to drive in the opposite direction every day, which is the absolute worst commute in DC one could have - coming up I-395. An hour and a half to go 12 miles on a GOOD day and I did that for 3 years before I moved. That being said, I watched the traffic coming towards me and it always seemed to be pretty light.

Now that I drive in so many different areas during all traffic hours I think I'm pretty safe in saying you should still have a light time of it, but absolutely NOT by taking the 14th Street bridge. That would be going way out of your way from Glover Park by making you drive through downtown traffic. Your best bet would be to make your way down to Canal Road and get across the Key Bridge so you can hop onto the GW Parkway or go through Arlington to Hwy. 110. Either one will get you speedily to the Pentagon. I'm guessing anywhere from 40-50 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.

Your nearest Metro stops would be Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan or Cleveland Park on the Red Line, then you'd have to change at Metro Center to get on the Blue Line or Gallery Place to get on the Yellow Line to get you to the Pentagon. Yellow will get you there faster as it is a more direct route.

According to wmata.com, if you got on the Metro at Cleveland Park by 7:00 a.m., changing at Gallery Place to Yellow, you would be at the Pentagon by 7:30. Not a bad commute for DC.

Hope this has helped!!

If you need any help finding a place. Feel free to contact me via email or phone.

Kelly Putz
Realtor®
DC/MD/VA
Kangal Real Estate
kputz@kangalre.com
703-961-8663
If you are driving you will likely be taking the 14th street bridge often. It varies in it's volume and congestion but is the most direct route for you. Depending upon where you live however you may find taking the subway a bit easier as you could potentially live and work within walking distance of subways stops.
When you are ready to move I would love to help you.

Arthur Hardy, Realtor
W.C. & A.N. Miller Realtors
4910 Massachusetts Ave NW
Suite 119
Washington DC 20016
(202) 362-1300 office
(202) 362-3164 fax
(202) 895-2860 direct
web arthurhardyjr.com
email arthurhardy@LNF.com

Know of anyone thinking of buying or selling a home? Referrals are greatly appreciated.
Web Reference: http://arthurhardyjr.com

Arthur Hardy, Realtor
W.C. & A.N. Miller Realtors
4910 Massachusetts Ave NW
Suite 119
Washington DC 20016
(202) 362-1300 office
(202) 362-3164 fax
(202) 895-2860 direct
web arthurhardyjr.com
email arthurhardy@LNF.com

Web Reference: http://arthurhardyjr.com
Hello Scubagal, You will be close enough that you will be able to adjust your commute times by 10-15 minutes and see a dramatic difference. I also have found that making adjustments with side streets also is key. It is amazing that one can make the slightest change and it's smooth sailing. Play with MapQuest and GoogleMaps to plan out alternative methods. Good Luck with your new position and lets have a fantastic day! Best, Harry R.Brubaker & Associates Real Estate Advisors/Keller Williams Realty International, Inc.