Home Buying in Racine>Question Details

Joy Adrian, Home Buyer in Racine, WI

I will be moving to Racine within the next few months. Should I be talking to a local lender rather than one here in Nevada? And if so, whom should

Asked by Joy Adrian, Racine, WI Tue Aug 10, 2010

I contact? I will be selling my house in Nevada in the next few months and will need to find a house in Racine at that time.

Answers

4
Linda S. Cefalu’s answer
Hi Joy,

You already have a few agents that have offered their services. I live in Racine County and I love it here. Racine is very large, so where you live is going to depend on your personal needs such as commuting to work.

You can either choose from as reputable site such as Trulia or you can ask your current agent, if you have one in Nevada, to refer someone from Wisconsin. Just make sure that they actually know the agent they are referring to you.

And I agree strongly with the comment made by Mini and David. I just had what we call a "dry closing" last week due to the out of town funding. I also have several lenders that I have worked with for years. They are trustworthy and very reliable. They stay on top of everything and keep you informed every step of the way so that nothing slips through the cracks.

Let any of us know if we can help and please come back to let us know how you did. We often get questions from buyers, but never hear from them again. It would be nice to hear from you once you are settled.

Best of Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 8, 2012
Dear Joy,

Absolutely, you should be talking to a local lender. As much as everyone thinks that nationwide/internet based lending is the way of the future, there is something still to be said for having a real live loan originator that you can personally talk to when something "screws" up. When you never see or meet that person, and only communicate through emails and voice messages, it is often very nerve wracking. Considering that this person is helping to coordinate what may be your largest purchase of a lifetime, I feel it is best to have them local rather than in another distant city or state. Add to that the differences in state lending laws and practices which can create some very interesting problems. Many states are what are known as "escrow states", which Wisconsin is not. Having lived in both types of states, I can tell you that the way a real estate transaction is closed in Wisconsin is totally different than it is in California. If you are going to use an out of state lender, make sure they understand the differences. Otherwise you might end up at a closing table in Racine waiting for funds that are delayed for hours or days.

If you need some names of reputable lenders in the area, call or email me and I will be happy to supply you with a list of folks that will treat you right. Lots of luck with your move!

Dave Bellovary
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Newport Realty Corp
Racine, WI
262-939-0935 (Direct)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
racine is a ghetto dont look for anything in the city limits i prefer caledonia
I agree with David..Talk to a local lender..