Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Tr, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I will be moving to NYC and working in the WFC. I want a commute of 30 mins or less door to door. Price of 1.6 to 2M. What neighbourhoods fit this ?

Asked by Tr, Chicago, IL Sat Aug 28, 2010

I also have an 11 year old daughter so schools are very important as well as proximity to other kids her age. I have not been able to find a resource that can give me a list of neighbourhoods which I can then compare and contrast. Thanks ... Does not have to be Manhattan. Note I live in London now...the form for this would not let me put that in.

Answers

18
Hi Tr,

I think from the Upper West/East side on down would work for you. If you'd like to contact me, we can talk in further detail. However, when it comes to schools, real estate agents cannot tell you which school is better or worse per Fair Housing Laws. However, if you go to http://www.insideschools.org you can do all the research of schools in surrounding neighborhoods you're interested in.

Again, I'd be more than happy to help you out,

Nick Rafello, V.P.
Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
(212) 444-7852
nrafello@corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 28, 2010
Thanks to everyone below for taking the time to answer this and provide such great info...
Tr
If you're working in the World Financial Center, you want to stick to Battery Park, Tribeca, or a good neighbourhood convenient to the A/C/E subway lines (i.e. West Village). Battery Park is perfect for walking access to WFC.

Tribeca and Battery Park are probably where you will want to begin your search due to access to some of the best public schools in Manhattan. A good private school can cost up to $40,000/year, so having access to a good school can make a big economic difference.

Tribeca and Battery Park are also extremely family friendly neighborhoods.

One building that comes to mind is the Ritz Carlton Residences in Battery Park. I am a resident of this building and endorse it 100%. There are also a few availabilities in the 1.5-2M range that would be perfect. Plus, there are many other families in the building and most of the kids here are friends.

If you would like more information feel free to reach out to me.

Derek Lee
Managing Partner - L.G. Fairmont Group
212-545-0729 or dlee@lgfairmont.com
Hi Tr, I would love to help you evaluate options in New Jersey. 30 min or less door to door is tough to achieve in a suburb, but you could surely come close in a few of our desirable communities, namely Summit and Millburn/Short Hills. Schools are well regarded - both public, plus access to good private schools. Because of proximity to the city you've got a real urban/suburban feel.

Take a look at the Gallery of homes in these communities that would fit in your budget:
http://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?r…

I took the price up a bit so you could see what was available up to the $2,500,000 mark.

Millburn High School is highly regarded - here is a link to some local press regarding the student performance there:
http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2010/02/millburn_high…

You can reach me via Trula, email me directly at jeanne@feenick.com or call my cell 908-337-0943. I'd be honored to assist you in New Jersey.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
There is no place in Nassau County (on Long Island) that will give you a 30 min or less door to door commute.

The public schools on Long Island have a national reputation for excellence, but under the best scenario the commute will run you closer to 50 minutes. Because after that 30 minute train ride to Brooklyn Atlantic Terminal you still have to take the subway downtown, which takes 15 minutes, and you had to get to the train station somehow from your house.

For a 30 min or less commute you need Manhattan or Brooklyn Heights across the river. If townhouse living appeals to you, Brooklyn Heights is an option.

Many families whose parents work on Wall Street live in Battery Park City. If you visit there you'll see this immediately, and see why, with all the grassy areas to play, the minimal auto traffic, waterfront parks, and the many programs for youngsters. The land there came from excavation to build the World Trade Center.

Something to know about Battery Park City is that the properties are all on land lease, that is, the buildings do not own the land they are standing on; New York City/New York State do. (The mix of municipal ownership has changed over the years.) Earlier this year Fannie Mae (secondary mortgage market) suspended its willingness to purchase mortgages on these properties because of the uncertainty caused by land leases, which put those sellers in a tough position. Fannie Mae has since changed its policies.

The neighborhood where your office stands is know as FiDi, short for Financial District. There are many apartments right there as well.

Karla Harby, VP
Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
Much will depend on your wants, needs, lifestyle and where would you be happiest living--would you rather be in Manhattan or Long Island--to get an idea regarding Long Islan areas, you can check http://www.mlsli.com from there you can search by neighborhood, you can also find neigborhood and school information, closed properties, etc. If you need assistance feel free to contact me directly.
Tr,
Are you interested in public or private schools? You might want to want to look into the different schools in Manhattan by referring to this web site http://www.greatschools.org
as far as neigborhoods that are near the WFC you can consider Tribeca, Soho, Midtown West, Union Sq, Chelsea. I could go on but this iis a good starting point.
Web Reference: http://www.greatschools.org
Tr,
What you are looking for is a full service agent. Intreview a few agent find one and that will. Handle all the details so that your property will close in a smooth and expeditious manner. The right agent will professionally guide you through all the paperwork and negotiations on your behalf including meeting with agents, lawyers, banks, inspectors and appraisers. If you have any questions please ask us.
Tr, you can afford to live in any neighborhood in Manhattan for that price. Where you select would depend on your tastes and needs, if you have a family maybe you'd like to live closer to a park or closer to your kids school. Or proximity to the subway making your commute easier. There are many lifestyle variables not to mention types of apartments. Would you prefer a new building with modern amenities or a classic pre-war style apartment. Would you like outdoor space? Choose an agent that would take their time and understand you rather than one who is running through a database and inundating you with general information and hoping they can wear you out into buying.
Suggesting areas of Manhattan to a person who will be working at the World Financial Center without knowing anything of their likes and dislikes is rather myopic. If you are the type that does not want to waste time commuting unnecessarily, you could easily walk to work and have a great, private school on Broad Street for you daughter. If you want other conveniences and services, there are multiple areas in Manhattan which will provide them. Let me know what your other needs are, and I will be happy to assist you in finding a Manhattan home.
Dear Tr. I am innundating this method of communication. If you care to have more ares in details. Please contact us and I will be happy to sent you a attacchment with descriptions of all areas in Manhattan. Thank you so much. fvalois@rutenbergrealtyny.com
This is the last one for now.
UNION SQUARE AND GRAMERCY PARK AREA
East 14th Street to East 22nd Street
Housing options have flourished in this neighborhood. Gramercy Park itself was the primary residential
opportunity until developers began converting and developing the neighborhood. It is an odd mix of New
York in the 1880’s, as you circle around Gramercy Park with its beautiful old world charm, and the modern,
rather hectic life of the 21st century. Gramercy Park is the sole surviving “private residential park” in the
city and is surrounded by landmark townhouses and prewar buildings (a great “read” to take you back to
the Gramercy Park of the 1880’s would be Time and Again). Just outside the quiet boundaries of the Park,
the city bursts into life again offering every type of dwelling from luxury high-rise living to warehouses
converted into loft spaces, and every type of venue from nightclubs to a huge open-air farmer’s market in
Union Square. Some of the notable upscale stores in this area include ABC Carpet & Home and Paragon
Sports (both on Broadway at 17th and 18th Streets). There is a plethora of great dining in the area (Blue
Water Grill, Coffee Shop and Havana Central) and plenty of nightlife. Great spots for a drink after work,
followed by dinner, abound on Park Avenue South. Some of the more interesting clothing stores in the
area are Intermix, Agnes B and Anthropology.
Dear Tr. this I again, FValois from Rutenberg
LOWER UPPER WEST SIDE AND UPPER WEST SIDE
From West 59th Street north to West 96th Street, from Central Park West on the east to Riverside Drive
on the Hudson River
The Upper West Side is, along with the Upper East Side, one of the two most residential neighborhoods
in Manhattan. The look and feel changes about every 10 blocks. The West 60’s, the most recently
developed area, is slightly glitzy with beautiful new buildings built by Millennium Partners. Very chic
boutiques and restaurants can be found on every block. As you inch your way towards the West 80’s the
neighborhood takes on a more traditional feel. There are benches in the parkway in the middle of
Broadway, and stores such as Fairway (for all kinds of groceries), H & H Bagels and Zabar’s (for exotic
foods and kitchen supplies). By the time you get to the West 90’s it will feel as though you’ve turned
back the clock to the 1940’s—the majority of the buildings are exactly the same as they were 60 years
ago, and there is very little development in terms of megacomplexes or “superstores.” The West Side
affords you “true” Manhattan living. Every service and amenity and type of housing exists within this
area and the fun is finding all of them. It is home to turn-of-the century apartment buildings, rows of
brownstones on wide, tree-lined side streets, the heavily trafficked avenue called Broadway, family-run
stores and the extraordinary cultural icon known as Lincoln Center. The Upper West Side was
traditionally considered home to intellectuals, writers, musicians and artists and now houses as many
CEO’s as the East Side. It’s home to a diverse group of young and old alike.
UPPER UPPER WEST SIDE
From West 96th Street north to West 110th Street, and west from the Hudson River east to
Morningside Drive
With rents and purchasing prices still high in the lower regions of the Upper West Side, this area is
becoming more desirable by the moment. Apartment options vary from the classic pre-war doorman and
elevator buildings to brownstones that line the side streets. You can get a little more for your money in this
area. It is attracting more high-end retail shops and great specialty restaurants. The local residents who
have lived in the area worry it will lose its flavor and color. It is a family neighborhood where asking your
neighbor for a cup of sugar is still the norm. And because it does not attract a ton of transients during the
day, most people begin to recognize each other as they walk down the street. The habitants of this
neighborhood are a wonderful mix of artists, bankers, musicians, lawyers and political activists who prefer
the diverse mix of cultures found here.
SOHO
Bordered by Houston, Crosby Street, Sixth Avenue and Canal Street
Soho (“South of Houston”) was once an area zoned for artists and their studios (AIR means Artist in
Residence). They lived upstairs and their storefront galleries and studios were at ground level. No more.
The extreme revitalization of Soho has pushed most of the artists out. Now it’s about all things high-end:
retail shopping, high-end eateries, and high-end tourists. With stores like Prada, Chanel and Agnes B
shopping is the thing. Those galleries that have remained are expensive, and need to be just to keep up
with the high rents. Chic restaurants like Balthazar, Savoy and the Hampton Chutney Company populate
the area. Despite the exodus of artists, Soho still retains a spectacular European style, with old-world
architecture and cobblestone streets. It also boasts more cast iron balconies and fire escapes than most
European cities.
MURRAY HILL
North from East 34th to East 42nd Streets, from the East River to Fifth Avenue
The wonderful thing about New York is that as much as things change, many things stay the same. This
area is one of them. The beautiful tree-lined side streets and 100-year-old brownstones set the tone for this
neighborhood. But not to fear, high-rise living is plentiful as you get to the avenues further east. In fact,
the area on First Avenue between 34th and 38th Streets houses well over 2,000 apartments in just 4
buildings! And, the amenities abound here. Just a few years ago Murray Hill seemed to go to sleep after
the workday ended, but not any longer. Traveling along Third Avenue you’ll find (at least) two restaurants
per block on both sides of the street! It’s an easy walk to the subways and trains o
For the answer to schools, one of the many resources is schools.com and you can compare them to each other. Or, my website, http://www.GailGladstone.com, has a school comparison section.

I would suggest you might like to look in Lattingtown, Port Washington, Great Neck, Kings Point....about 20-27 minutes train ride.

I would be happy to provide you with a free "listing book" account that will set you up (with you in control) to see EVERYTHING on the market in the areas you provide...by school district, or town, or by map.

Contact me at gail@gailgladstone.com and I will be happy to get that going for you.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
Dear Tr.

Please take the time to read ,from my company Charles Rutenberg realy NY, the neighbordhood guides. It will help you to know about each area and decide wher to move. If we could be of more help, please do not hesitate to contact us at: fvalois@rutenbergrealtyny.com I will have to send you two separate answers.
BATTERY PARK CITY
Between West Street and the Hudson River, below Vesey Street
Battery Park City is the neighborhood that was most affected by the tragedy of 9/11. It was in the
shadow of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. However, the neighborhood is recovering with
great gusto! Originally developed as a brand new neighborhood in the 1970’s (built as a little selfsufficient
city within the city) onlandfill from the excavation of the Twin Towers, it juts out into the
Hudson River at the southwest tip of Manhattan.This gorgeous neighborhood on the water was built to
accommodate people who worked in the Twin Towers and financial district, and who didn’t want to
commute from uptown or further. This development was well planned. It boasts boardwalks, parks,
marinas, playgrounds and all the amenities anyone could want or need. There is a bit of a feeling of
geographic isolation, but those who like the convenience of being close to work yet living in a well-ap
pointed neighborhood love living here. It is truly a planned community and is very appealing to those
who do not necessarily want to deal with the “nooks and crannies” of most of Manhattan.
GREENWICH VILLAGE/WEST VILLAGE
From Canal Street north to 14th Street, and the Hudson River on the west to the Bowery on the east
For the better part of the century this has been a popular place for young and old alike. Many streets are
cobblestone and lined with trees. There are brownstone and brick townhouses which date back 200
years (if not more). The streets are not laid out in a grid, as is most of the City. As a result, even natives
sometime need a map in this part of the world. Many famous writers and original thinkers have lived
and worked in this area. There are many fascinating local spots -- from the White Horse Tavern on
Hudson Street, to the speakeasys which had been housed in any number of homes along Bank or
Bethune Streets. There is almost no zoning for “high-rises” in this area and therefore it’s still dominated
by small brownstone homes (many of which are single family dwellings) as well as small stores that
have been in Greenwich Village families for decades (maybe centuries). All this comes at a price. The
rent and sale prices are some of the highest in the City. The West Village is considered quieter than the
Central Village which houses New York University, Washington Square and Bleecker Street. There isn’t
much of a “night life” in the West Village, however the Central Village is home to many of the City’s
famous music bars (the Blue Note, The Bottom Line and Marie’s Crisis) as well as some of the greatest
Off-Broadway theaters (Minetta Lane and the Lucille Lortel) and hundreds of restaurants and
novelty shops.
CHELSEA
Dear TR:

WFC is close to most areas in Manhattan because of the express trains. So you will have many choices. I would be happy to show you homes in these various areas so you can make decide where you would like to reside. RE: Schools – do check out these sites:

http://www.insideschools.org
http://schools.nyc.gov/default.htm
http://manhattanschools.net/

Visit this link about my company Halstead Proeprty which is one of the premier real estate firms in Manhattan http://halstead.com/about_whyhalstead.aspx

You can also visit this link where you can see Manhattan's Neighborhood Video Tours
http://halstead.com/propertv.aspx?cat=2

As an experienced and licensed real estate salesperson in Manhattan, it is always a pleasure to welcome newcomers to Manhattan and assist them in finding their new home. If you would like my assistance please feel free to contact me.

Ross Ellis
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Halstead Property
212.317.7828 direct
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
rellis@halstead.com
Hi TR,
Traveling to the World Financial Center is really easy from most parts of Manhattan as there are many east & west side local & express trains that go down to the Financial District. There's an abundance of subway stations in that area so this gives you a lot of choices as far as neighborhoods to purchase in in Manhattan. Here's a link to my company's neighborhood guide which you can view to help you in making your decision...

http://www.citi-habitats.com/neighborhood.php

I've also included our sales market report for the 2nd quarter, 2010 which will show you average prices by neighborhood...

http://www.citi-habitats.com/market.php

With regard to schools, here's the NYC Dept of Education website which can help you with school districts...

http://schools.nyc.gov/default.htm

I'm a native New Yorker, an experienced broker in all parts of Manhattan/Brooklyn, a long-time co-op owner & would be happy to help you through the process of purchasing an apt. This is also a link to our buyer's guide which goes through all the steps involved in making a purchase...

http://www.citi-habitats.com/media/pdf/guides/buyers_guide.pdf

You can also review my profile on my website below. Let me know if I can help you...

Linda Taitelbaum
Citi Habitats
212 844-4342
ltaitelbaum@citi-habitats.com
http://www.lindataitelbaum.com
Hi TR,

In addition to the insideschool.org website that you have been provided it, you can also use http://tiny.cc/xrj2r for school zones. Both the Upper East Side and the Upper West Side have good schools, it is more of a preferential thing, I personally prefer the Upper East Side Carnegie Hill Schools

In addition, I also understand what it is to be transitioning from one country to the other . Six years ago, I had to move my family from United Kingdom , Greenwich to NYC (it was such an interesting experience, one that I have now incorporate to helping my clients to overcome all the challenges of moving into a new environment. Moving in itself can be overwhelming, I am more than happy to share my experience with you and assist you and your family in finding your ideal home.

Good luck with your new transition

Adebayo Fagbohun
The Real Estate Group NY
afagbohun@tregny.com
201-925-8078
Almost anywhere in Manhattan can be within 30 minutes to WFC, and even some parts of Brooklyn. The schools are great on the Upper West Side, but attendance to any public and private schools is not guaranteed, so you will need to do some research on this as well.

I've included lins to some properties around the city in your price range. Please feel free to contact me to discuss or to set up viewings at your convenience.

http://realplus.halstead.com/Halstead/webreports/1010278b25c…

David Bess l Sales Associate
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Halstead Property, LLC
408 Columbus Avenue l New York, NY 10024
Direct: 212.381.2631 l Fax: 646.775.2631
Mobile: 917.887.1487
DBess@Halstead.com