M Shah, Home Owner in Edison, NJ

I will be closing on a house next week. The inspection came up with 12.7 puc/L RADON. Seller wants to do her

Asked by M Shah, Edison, NJ Mon Feb 25, 2008

own test stating that there is no RADON IN EDISON, NJ. Any suggestion.

Hi Max,
A second test sounds reasonable to me. Assuming the first test was performed properly the 2nd test should come up with similar results and just confirm there is a radon problem in the home. Good Luck!

Heather Daccurso
Weichert Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Radon can be found virtually anywhere in NJ. It can be in one house and not in any other on the block. The guidlines state that homes with readings in excess of 4.0 PiCu/L must be remediated. 12.7 is substantially above that. There have been cases of unusual spikes (tests for real estate transactions are short term, less than a week) due to heavy rain. If this was not the case, an additional test (if done properly) is unlikely to yield different results.

I find Radiation Data to be a good company to work with for remediation. Most solutions range from $1200 to $1800, but some can be minimal (significant crack in the slab that is allowing radon into the home).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2008
Split the difference with her. It's a $1,200 repair.

Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2008
I have seen 3 tests on the same property deliver results with great variation. If one of the tests delivered a high radon result, I would suggest remediation. The cost of a remediation system is nominal when weighed against the risk factors associated w/ radon.

The link will provide you more info about radon
Homebuyers guide to radon

General info on radon

Map of NJ and radon

Even if the seller retests.....will you still seek remediation? The best way for you to make that deicsion is to learn a bit more about radon.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in ,
I would have the house retested. 12.7 is high. I know the area and have heard of failed Radon tests.
Somerset is nearby also, and there are some unusually high radon tests there also... I don;t know whyu or how.. but When there is a lot of rain, the water pushes down onthe ground adn the radon seeps up into the house. I would not close until the seller remediates the problem. I have not heard of anyoen charging over $1200.00 to install.. which is basically a hole in the slab with a pipe and an exhaust fan.

Have it remediated and retested before closing. Some of the "good" home inspectors have invested in computer units that test and give a reading immediately. I have the name of two that can come in and test for you.
Any unpassed test should be remedied by closing, or your attorney would not let it go thru. Sometimes, your attorney may withhold thousands from sellers to make sure the problem corrected. I think it is the seller's responsibility as your attorney probably will tell you the same thing.

On the other hand, I never heard of any Radon in Greater Edison area, although theoretically, it can be any where. Mostly I heard of Radon is Nothern Jersey.

I am wondering how many years the seller lived in that house? If they live there for many years without any problem, there is reason they do not believe there is Radon. On the other hand, if the test from professional, it should be taken care of.