Home Buying in Durham>Question Details

Guyl, Home Buyer in Durham, NC

I will be a graduate student at Duke next year (starting August), and I'm looking for a place to live.

Asked by Guyl, Durham, NC Fri May 8, 2009

There's a good possibility I will buy a house, with the help of my parents. The plan is to find another student to rent a room - so I'll try to find a 2BR house. I'm having a hard time figuring out what are the 'good' areas around duke. I talked to some grad students, and they all live south of Duke (zipcode 27707). I'm getting the vibe the south side is better - is that correct? They recommended living not too close to campus (pay too much), and not too far - somewhere around a 5-10 minute drive. I'll have a car so that should be no problem. What are some neighborhoods I should look into? Thanks!

Answers

11
Guy, I have a potential listing that is exactly what you are looking for. Most 2 bedrooms in 27707 and 27713 will be townhouses and this isn't a bad way to go at all for a dedicated grad student. My potential listing is detached, however it has a small and low maintenance yard, two bedrooms, 2 baths and a carport. I sold the home three years ago to a UNC law student who has now taken a job out of state. I'm trying to get her to get it cleaned up a little to get it on the market. If this interests you at all let me know.
Jay
Web Reference: http://durhamluxre.com
Guy, look at 3117 Coachman"s Way off of Picket. It is 2 br, 2.5 baths My daughter just graduated from Duke Med and moved to St Louis. There are a couple other units available in the complex which is called Woodstream Glen. It is an older established area. She chose it after her undergraduate years at Duke for the location- safe, quiet. and near Duke It has not been listed with a realtor yet. If not sold in a month or so, we will. There are several UNC and Duke grad students living there. The complex is beside Structure House
Some neighborhoods you might like: warehouse condos on Duke Street and Trinity Street area for downtown and Hope Valley Farms, Woodcroft, and Woodlake for something a little more suburban. Trinity Lofts look considerably overpriced, but cool. I believe Duke has a housing website. You could see what people are posting there, both for rentals and sales.
Hi Guyl
I agree with Vivian Durham especially downtown ish is the new "place to be" I just helped a student into Trinity Lofts within walking distance to all of downtown, 2 bd 2 ba in the $190,000 range. However the southside is also very nice convenient and you can find affordable. I have a 1 bd 1 ba condo in Villages of cornwallis for $74,000. I would be happy to send you a selection of properties in different areas around Duke if you would like.
Michael
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
What you haven't heard yet is that Durham is becoming a very exciting place to be. I live in Chapel Hill but if I were moving here all over again, I would consider Durham, especially near downtown where you can walk to 37 excellent restaurants. Durham is in transition and changes block by block. I drive up and down the streets to see what kind of renovations are taking place. A lot depends on your comfort level. Personal safety is not an issue, not at all. There are areas I don't want to walk in after dark, but there aren't many of those areas, and you'll never be there.

Take a look at downtowndurhaminc.com (I think that is the site) to see what developments are in the works. I own 2 rental houses in not-so-great areas of Durham, and did a total renovation on a house that is presently on the market. If I had to do it all over again, I would still buy that house because of the location. I think it will be primo. I don't know how to get pictures on Trulia so here is the Craig's List link.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reo/1176578720.html
Hi again Guy!

The zip codes you are referring to would be 27707 and 27713. I relocated to this area 10 years ago and was basically in the position you are in now. I didn't really know anyone and didn't have anyone I felt I could trust. That's exactly why I specialize in relocation clients (and I've also had several from Florida!) Should you decide to work with me and my team, you'll be guided step by step through the process so that you will have the smoothest transition possible. You will have an expert negotiator on your side and a thorough analysis of any property that you decide you like prior to offers being made so that you're getting the best deal possible and not over-paying for the property. I'd be happy to set aside time for you when you are here in a few weeks to get together. Give me a call at 919-491-HOME (4663) or shoot me an email at Susan@RTPHomeFinder.com and let me know what your travel plans are so I can block the time especially for you. I really want to be YOUR realtor...and congratulations on being accepted into the Duke Graduate Program...that is a wonderful achievement and definitely something to be proud of!!

Looking forward to talking to you soon!
Susan
Thanks everyone,
I will definitely have to sit down with an agent. I'm just trying to narrow down my choices because I live in Florida currently, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in NC trying to find a place. I'm thinking about coming up there to find a place in the next couple of weeks.

From what I understand, students go to the Chapel Hill area to 'to go', which is out south-west of Duke - so I was hoping to find a place between Duke and that area. I saw a few listings on your site that look interesting; I'm looking for a 2BR, 2BA (although 1.5BA would be fine too I guess) for about $100,000-$140,000. I was hoping to get the names of the neighborhoods, or zipcodes of the area south/south-west of Duke so I can look online for places, then come to NC and meet an agent.

Thank you for your responses!
Hi Guy!

Thanks so much for posting your question! It is very wise of you to ask about some of the best areas to focus. Location is very important however there are other needs to be considered. I take a much different approach to real estate and would like to discuss with you (no obligation of course) what's most important to you. I "hear" a few different things in your post and feel it's best to probe a bit deeper before jumping in with advice.

If you'd like the help of an experienced real estate consultant for FREE, please give me a call at 919-491-HOME (4663) to find out how working with the Triangle Home Crew benefits you on a much deeper level. With nearly ten years of professional real estate experience, you won't regret that call...I promise!

Susan Crawford, ABR, Broker, e-PRO
Triangle Home Crew Team Leader
Hi Guy,

I am very confident that you will find a 2 BR house that will be in your price range. Also what is very exciting is that there is a $8,000 1st Time Home Buyer Credit that you may qualify for if you purchase before December 1, 2009.

I always recommend that you begin working with a realtor that will represent your best interests, a buyer's agent. I am working with two buyers now that will purchase homes in Durham and will be attending Duke.

Let me know if I can assist you in any way. My website is below for your convenience to search for homes.

Rebecca Neighborgall
Hi Guy
I agree with Kerry, it is best to sit down with an Agent and discuss your needs and different area's. A lot of students like the area around Southpoint, I have a 1 bed 1 bath at the Villages of Cornwallis $74,900.
Michael
There are many wonderful neighborhoods around the University. Your best course of action is to sit down with an agent and discuss all of the variables such as price range, type of property (single fam, town home etc) Then neighborhoods can be narrowed down according to your needs. I would be delighted to help you in your search (336) 504-4999
thanks,
Kerry