Ewalton, Home Buyer in 27560

I went to look at a new community out of curiosity, too late for a buyer's agent?

Asked by Ewalton, 27560 Sat Sep 4, 2010

I went today, did not talk to the builder's agent who was busy but have arranged to go and look at a floorplan tomorrow, may want to use a buyer's agent, is it too late? Can i go to look at the model and state I have an agent who was unable to come with me today or should I just not go and wait to go with the agent. Only thing I did was leave my phone number.

Answers

8
Jeanne Feenick’s answer
New construction is tricky - if you "registered", ie provided your contact info, and I think even your name and phone number may constitute a registration, they may not acknowledge a relationship with a buyer's agent, and by that I mean they may refuse to pay the commission. I even ran in to a situation in which a buyer of mine stated he was working with me but because I did not accompany them for the first visit, they refused to acknowledge our relationship. If you are registered, I do think there is some sort of time limit on it.

My suggestion is to call the office and explain that it was not your intention to work without a buyers agent and see if you get anywhere. Talk to you agent for guidance as well.

But generally with new construction, those are the rules - to all buyers, PLEASE remember this so that if you are driving by a new development it is probably that your agent must register you and/or accompany you on the first visit.

Thanks for asking this question.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
Hi Ewalton, it is absolutely your right to have a buyer's agent to represent you, to help you choose a home that will meet your requirements and budget, to negotiate on your behalf and guide you through the entire process, to attend the walk through's with you and help you in every way from home search to closing and beyond. Why not make use of a Buyer agent whose services are free for you anyway?

It is NOT TOO LATE at all to use the services of a buyer agent, especially that you haven't done much with the builder anyway. If you are going tomorrow, just let the builder rep know that you will be using the services of a buyer agent. Then when you go the next time, you can take the buyer agent with you.

I have worked with Eryn before and I am sure she will not have any problem.
Web Reference: http://www.RealTriangle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Take a look at our website. You will find info on buying new construction as well as links to current listings in the most popular neighborhoods.
http://www.bliss-realestate.com/new-construction.asp

Most reputable builders will not have an issue with you having a buyers agent. Their goal is to sell the house. If you went as far as negotiating price, terms and conditions and then said, "oh by the way, I have a buyers agent", that would be unfair. Just looking around and signing in doesn't obligate you. If you do go without an agent to look around, be careful what info you share about yourself, your situation and your needs and wants. The less info you reveal to an on-site rep before entering negotiations the better. Let an experienced buyers agent handle that. Negotiations take special skill, better to leave that to an expert.

If you would like more information, feel free to contact us at anytime.

Bliss Real Estate Group
Cary, NC
(919) 467-0707
Hi Ewalton,
The builder should be fine with you bringing an agent in to assist with the decision making process of buying/building a house. This cost for the buyers agent does not come off the price of your house so anyone buying w/o a buyers agent will not get a lower price than you. Just advise the builders agent, that you are working with an agent, though they may not be with you that day. With the current market and ever changing redistricting of the Wake Public School Systems it is extremely beneficial to have someone there to help you with this process. There is no cost to you to use a buyers agent and we will be able to make sure you are represented fairly from start to finish. We can also be a second pair of eyes to help you choose interior and exterior colors and other options. Why not have an expert on your side who's job is to help people like you every day make one of the biggest decisions of their life? Please call/email me if you would like to discuss further.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
I don't think there is any problem saying that your agent is out of town. Even if you give the name of an agent who you subsequently don't use, but use someone else, it is your prerogative to use who you want to use and for the builder's agent to honor your choice. It is a buyer's market, builders/sellers want to sell houses and are not going to quibble over who gets the commission.

It is a good idea to have someone on your side representing you. The other agent represents the builder, not you. Take your time, buying a home is a big decision. If the town home is not yet built, an important question is how much leeway is there to alter the plans, especially the interior. Spend time thinking about what is really important to you in a home. I'm in the process of doing that right now for a place that I want to buy, and definitely enlarging the kitchen.

Call or email if you want to talk.
Web Reference: http://CrazyVivHomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
You are already in a bit of a dicey situation. If you go tomorrow, you will need to be able to identify a specific agent, not just say that your agent couldn't come today. Your best bet is to start by interviewing agents, find one that you feel comfortable with, sign a Buyer Representation Agreement and then go look at what the builder has to offer.

This article might help: http://www.tehachapiaor.com/consumer-information/helping-han…

You can also search for posts with "buyer agent" at the website below. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://HomeSalesSally.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
No, it is not too late. Most builders allow you to bring a buyer agent even after you have registered at their sales centers. The only builder that I knew who would not honor any buyer agent after signing in at the sales center is Carolina Preserve, a 55+ active adult community.

Please do bring a buyer agent who can help you on many aspects, like pricing, location, traffic patten, schools, and many other valuable inside information. A buyer agent can help you with the market analysis and provide you statistics in our local market. A buyer agent also can negotiate on your behalf on purchase price, options, or anything that related to the new home. He/she would be able to oversea the building process and protect you all the way to the closing table. The best part of is that ALL of these service is FREE to you. Builder will pay the buyer's agent commission. This commission is not coming from your purchase price. It is a part of builder's fund to compensate the agent who brings business to them.

Please interview a couple of agents and find a good one who can best represent you and has the best interest of you. Love to you help you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Sometimes builders will not pay a commission to a buyer's agent if you visited the property and signed in without indicating that you have an agent. However, builders are having much trouble these days and tend to be very cooperative if it means another sale. If you make it clear to the builder that your reallllly want an agent to represent you, there's a good chance the builder will see it your way.

Ron
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010