Home Buying in Troy>Question Details

Kimberly Bow…, Home Buyer in

I was working with a realtor but never had any contract with this realtor. I ended up using a different realtor to buy the house that I purchased.

Asked by Kimberly Bower, Mon Mar 11, 2013

The realtor in which I used to purchase the house did all the work such as making an offer, contracts, closing, and what not. Now the realtor in which I first started looking at houses with is trying to take the commission of the sale of the home from my current realtor. She is even threatening arbitration. I am completly stunned by this and wondered if there is anything that I can do to help my realtor keep her commission?

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Troy

Answers

3
Your Realtor will know what to do to protect their commission. It is called procuring cause.
If you did not have a written agreement the agent will not win in arbitration. The agent who found the house you purchased is the one due the commission..

Having said that here are a few questions for you.
Did the current agent ask if you were working with another agent? That would have been the correct thing to do. If she did what was your answer?
This wasn't a house the other agent showed you?

Depending on your answers, I can see why the agent might be upset. One of the most valuable asset
a Real Estate Agent has is time.
Hi Kimberly,

The Realtor who is entitled to the commission is the one who is the procuring cause (i.e the one who showed you the property, etc). If you didn't have a written and signed exclusive contract with the prior Realtor, as long as they cannot be considered the procuring cause for your purchase, there's really nothing you can do. Let them go to arbitration.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com