Home Buying in Sussex>Question Details

lookingtobuy, Home Buyer in Pewaukee, WI

I was wondering if new home construction prices exclude the land price? Such as the new construction homes listed in Sussex for under 200K.

Asked by lookingtobuy, Pewaukee, WI Mon Feb 4, 2013

In addition, I know that when building a home, there are addtional added costs...what kind of hidden fees are there in addition to the land cost and home building cost as given in a listing?

Answers

5
Richard Moen’s answer
Some do include the lot and others do not. And unfortunately those that do not include lot do not always state that in their advertising. Tom O'Brien usually does not include lot. Contact me for more help in finding what you are looking for. It is probably available.
Go over these questions with your Realtor. If you do not have a Realtor, you need to hire one, they will be able to go over Buyer Costs and in today's environment, there are no hidden fees, everything is disclosed on the Settlement statement.
Hi, I am not a broker or real estate agent. I can tell you about my experience building with one of the turn key or package builders where you choose options or upgrades after deciding on a plan and selecting a lot. With the builder we went with, they had lots to choose from in a specific subdivision. You had base house + lot + upgrades and then an agreed upon price. From the perspective of unexpected price increases, non existed since they were all negotiated before they began any construction. That is a huge piece of mind! It was surprising, as first time home owners, how much the addition of concrete and landscaping costs. In most subdivisions, you are on a specific time frame to get that done (ie you have to assume that cost as well within 2 years of home ownership at a minimum). Here's an example of the costs we paid over 10 years ago when we built: 7000 for concrete (double driveway and fairly large patio in the . back, no walk ways; and roughly the same in landscaping.) For the landscaping, we had a professional draw out the plan and ordered the less common plants from them and did the rest ourselves....a back breaking experience I would never repeat.

Overall, we were very happy to have gone the route of building a home. The thing to consider these days is that there are so many homes on the market that really have a lot of value and are most likely in established neighborhoods etc. with mature trees/landscaping complete. You need to ask yourself if you can find that on the market today for less money than building new. That was not an option at the time we built. (not many houses of the style we wanted in the area).

Bottom line - call the builder you are interested in and ask how much the lots are for the house plan that you are thinking of building. If you don't know which plan, use parameters like: 4 bedrooms with around 2400 sq ft and they can give you a range of prices for the lots they know of.
With our condominiums the land is included in the price.

In new construction we start with a base cost, and then options (upgrades) can affect the final settlement price. But yoiu get it the way you want it, and it's new!

John Wahlen
Cornerstone Develpopment of S.E. WI.
Good morning. Many of the builders offer a home and lot package if you choose to build with them (usually in a subdivision but not always). If you prefer to find a lot on your own you can do that as well and then contact a builder of your choice to build your new home. As far as extra costs to you, usually landscaping and driveways are extra and any other upgrades you would want in your new home such as solid surface or granite countertops, flooring, fixtures or even a exposed lower level or walk out basement. Keep in mind most builders will work with Buyer's Agents so you want to make sure to pick an agent to work with so you have someone to help you and protect your best interests. Good luck and feel free to contact me for more information or help.