Mexico, Home Buyer in Menlo Park/Panorama...

I was told that it's better to buy a house with an existing pool. Now I am considering a house that doesn't have a pool. What would be a?

Asked by Mexico, Menlo Park/Panorama Estates, Tucson, AZ Wed Jan 27, 2010

good guesstimate for a small lap pool?

Answers

11
A small play pool could cost you around $22,000.00 - $25,000.00. If you wanted a lap pool, it could be considerably cheaper depending on your likes, i.e. pool equipment, heater, etc.

Best of luck!
Tyler Whitmore
O48 Realty
Mexico:

In Arizona you need a pool, are you sure you want to spend between $18 - $25K
when there are plenty of homes with ?

Get in touch with many fine Realtors on this board or go to http://www.realtor.com and
search for homes with a Pool

Perry
In today's market, generally speaking, buying something that is already done is going to be a better deal. Again, generally speaking, homes are selling for less than replacement value. In other words, a $200,000 house would cost you $250,000 or so to build. You're getting it for less than the cost of the materials and labor.

Even though nearly every construction contractor that is still in business is operating on nearly a cost basis, it is generally going to be cheaper for you to buy a house with a pool than to buy one without and build one yourself.

That said, I agree with most of the comments already given. If you're talking only about pure numbers, cost/benefit, then all that matters is that you pay less. If you're buying a house to live in, and your choices are buy one that you love, with no pool, or buy one you sort of like, with a pool, all on the assumption that you'll pay less for the pool in the second house than you will to build one for the first, then I think you're not going to be happy in the long run.

Lots to consider, as with every home buying decision.
You've received many good answers from the other Realtors - and I think we are all in agreement that dollar-wise you do not get your investment back if you put your own pool in as opposed to buying "used". But I think there are other things to consider when making your decision if you should buy a house that does not have a pool. Once you have consulted with several pool contractors and gotten the best deal, quality & warranty then ask yourself if you are saving on the house in other areas (does it have many upgrades, premium lot, etc). A pool is for your enjoyment - not a necessity for a home - so an appraiser just doesnt give its full value - BUT a pool could give your home the competitive advantage when you go to sell your home - plus you have had years of enjoyment. That edge of having a pool that you put in could give your home the advantage that it sells much faster & at top dollar compared to one that doesnt. So carefully think out the pros & cons of buying new for the home that you find with out a pool. Good Luck
I agree with the other Realtors, depends on what you want, options. Get 3 bids and work them against each other, they are hungry in this market too. Most likey, it will cost you less in the end to simply find a house with a pool. $20K is a low estimate but accurate, I had a client get one built for that. If you buy a house that already has a pool, the entire thing is financed, vs paying to have one put in. Add the finance charges and it can add up to a lot more than the $20K. It is a buyers market, find one with a pool.
Mexico,
I have been selling real estate for 12 years, I have bought and sold may homes not only for myself but clients as well. Noone but a pool contractor is going to be able to give you a realistic cost to builder a pool. There are many options when builing a pool including but not limited to size, shape, depth, types of filters types of cleaning systems and many many more. I have built several homes from scratch and added pools I have spent as little as 30k on a pool and as much as 80k on a pool...it all depends on what you are looking for in the pool. Good luck
Kent Gagon
West USA Realty
Comparing a pool to a new car vs used car is a good barometer. In most of the areas in Metro Phoenix an existing pool is usually valued at about 50% of the cost of a new pool. It may not be the size, shape or finish that you were going to choose, but if it is acceptable you are off and swimming right away and have saved several thousands of dollars.

If the property you have chosen has no pool remember that once you install the pool you will have depreciated it by about 50% so make sure that your stay in the home will provide sufficient time to use the pool for its' use and fun.
We've built pools in two houses we;ve owned. a pool contractor once told me that the average pool costs about as much as the average new car. He was talking about a "regular" pool, not something small and just for laps, but that gives you a general idea. And it held true for the two pools we built. Both cost about as much as what an average sedan would have cost at the time. So now...maybe $18,000-20,000?
Mexico,

Besides consulting a local pool contractor for bids, what does the area comp for with a pool?

If you weigh what the comp's are and what the price of installing a pool would be, you may want to wait for a property with an installed pool.

It's similiar to buying a "new" car or a "used" car. Some areas depreciate the amenity/upgrade. The plus for purchasing a property with a pool is that you don't have to go through the construction period. The positive is that you can design you own pool & backyard.

Research your options before locking into a home.

Great question

Pools can vary based on expense.

What is long term goal of owning home ? If ownership less than 5 years never recommend purchasing a home w/o pool due to expense not able recoup your investment then purchase a home with pool.

If ownership is over 5 years purchase home with no pool then contract it yourself.

Much depends if you want salt water, number of gallons, design, and etc.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
You need to talk to a local POOL CONTRACTOR to see what they charge.

Recommend talking to at least three of them and get a personal recommendation.

It generally costs more to build a pool (or lap pool) than to buy a house with one already (as you've been told)....

Good Luck