Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Jody Kulbicki…, Home Buyer in Boerne, TX

I was recently scammed.

Asked by Jody Kulbicki Ramirez, Boerne, TX Wed Jul 3, 2013

The address they were trying to rent out was 13323 Star Heights Dr in San Antonio. I didnt think it was right because it was way to cheap. I looked up appraisel district and tax assessors office and the name was not the same as the name given to me. They were unable to meet and said they were in Nigeria. Trying to get me to wire money. I told them no way. The name he was using was James Foe than he said his name is James Foe Campbell. His number he was using for text messaging is (305)2097139. His email was jamesfoe223@gmail.com Just wanted to put this info out there. Not sure what I'm suppose to do. But very hurtful that someone would try and do that to my family. We are a family of 9. My husband works very hard to provide for us and we need a good home for us, but after this it has left us very unsure what to do on finding a home. Hope this helps someone. Be very careful.

Answers

12
Hi Jody,

This type of issue is sadly not uncommon. While you are looking around at real estate websites it is a good idea to send the addresses to a Realtor so that they can check them out for you.

If your family is still looking for a rental home, I would be happy to help them.

I can put together a report of available homes that meet their criteria, can show them the properties and help with the application process, at absolutely no cost to them.

Send me an email if you would like me to do this...dianat@thehornco.com

All the best to you and your family!
I had someone try to do this recently with one of my listings in Alamo Ranch. It was an owner occupied home worth close to $200,000 and they listed it for rent at $1,400 per month. When I started getting calls from potential renters, I knew something was up. I did a Google search of the property and found the fake listing, I immediately called the website and had it removed. Never agree to mail a deposit or meet someone claiming to be an owner without proper representation. By only working with licensed Realtors, you can avoid these scams. Feel free to contact me for more info or help.
Jody you did the right thing by checking out something suspicious. Are still trying to find a rental home?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
O my email is rami6pk@yahoo.com if you have any leads tks :)
Flag Mon Jul 8, 2013
Yes we are still searching. We have a difficult situation. We have 2 outside dogs, 1 small inside dog and 1 cat. We need at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath with den or extra living area. A 4 bedroom would probably be best. We need to stay in Northwest Sa area, Boerne, Helotes or that general area. My husband works in Boerne. We can afford up to 1300 a month. So this is really hard to find.
Flag Mon Jul 8, 2013
I had a home listed at Canyon Lake and yes someone through hotpads then trulia had my listing as a rental. That was totally bogus. I contacted hopads and trulia and it was pulled those sites. Bottom line is never mail or wire or give anyone money or personal sensitive information without proper identification. Have a great 4rth and be safe!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
I just viewed the property. Were you working with a Realtor? It shows the property has an application received. Is that your application?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
They usually pick houses that they know are foreclosures and are empty. I list a lot HUD (foreclosed) homes on Trulia and I have had a lot of people call me asking about it for rent because someone had listied them on Craiglist and Hotpads for rent. Like the old saying if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is a scam. I am glad you didn't pay any money to them. Out of probably a hundred people that they have tried to scam I have only heard of one person who actually paid money.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
Happens a lot :(. Never send money to anyone period. Always go see the property first and make sure you are dealing with the correct landlord.

Glad you guys didn't lose any Money!

Jason
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
I am very sad to hear that happen to your family. If you have any questions I might be able to guide you. Best of wishes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
Glad you didn't lose any money, and realized it was a scam before it was too late!

If that listing is posted on Trulia, go ahead and flag it, and trulia will remove it.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of scams online, on many sites...............first rule of thumb is.....if it sounds too good to be true - it isn't true!

And.......if anyone asks you to wire money, run in the opposite direction - it's a scam!

They always have a story as to why they can't meet you in person to show you the home.......all red flags that scream "Mr Tenant Beware"!!!

Best wishes.........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 3, 2013
File a police report and an FBI internet scam report.
Apparently you weren't scammed. You didn't send any money.

That was a pretty dumb scammer. You were able to pick up on it quickly.

You can report it to the police, but nothing will happen.

As for how to find a home, use a Realtor. They'll protect you from such attempted scams.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Recommend to contact the Police Department. Exactly reason why to use a Realtor at all times

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
https://twitter.com/Lynn911