Brooke, Other/Just Looking in Haverhill, MA

I was just wondering what an irregular foundation size meant? does it mean somthing is wrong with it?

Asked by Brooke, Haverhill, MA Fri Mar 21, 2008

Looking to purchase my first home...

Answers

8
Leanne Finlay’s answer
Maybe an 'irregular foundation size' is something typically disclosed in your market area, but in 26 years, I've never heard of it (WA State).

If it's typical, you'll find easy and logical explanations for it. If it isn't typical, ask if the seller has any engineering reports on the issue that you can study, and certainly, if you buy the place, make your offer subject to you having a civil engineer check this foundation.
Hi Brooke,
It doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it, it just means that it's not a perfect rectangle or square shape. Most likely it has some corners and bumped out sections. If the foundation was a perfect square or rectangle the listing agent might put: 24' x 42' in for the size. If it is more complicated the listing agent usually puts "irregular".

Hope that helps! Good luck with the house hunting. It's a great time to be buying with the rates as low as they are and the amount of inventory to choose from. Welcome aboard - Trulia Voices is a good place to get your questions answered.

Take care,
Mike
Web Reference: http://www.30Jefferson.com
Irregular will mean that it is not a perfect rectangle.....there is a bump out or the house is l sahped or any number of shapes other than a perfect rectangle.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 23, 2010
it refers to the shape of the footprint of the property
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 22, 2008
Irregular foundation size means the same as irregular lot size. It isn't a perfect square or rectangle. Basically it was custom made. Have a good inspector check before offer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008
Mike is right.

Unless a foundation (or room for that matter) is a perfect rectangle or a square (I know, same thing) many will default to 'irregular'. Some however, like myself, may state the foundation size in square feet (if it is available and documentable).

Either way, an 'irregular' foundation may be perfectly fine. On the other hand, it may "really" be irregular - In which case, I hope you have a good home inspector. ;)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008
Thanks Mike. I am new to this and appreciate all the help I can get. = ).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008
Keep asking, keep learning!