Linda, Other/Just Looking in Lake Oswego, OR

I was already working with this real estate person and she showed me some houses, when she told me she was listing a house she thought I'd like.

Asked by Linda, Lake Oswego, OR Sun Aug 29, 2010

I asked her to show it to me when it came on the market, which she did, and then I made an offer. So technically, she was already my agent when she got the listing on the house I want to buy.

Answers

8
Linda - I am curious - did you buy the house?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I did buy the house. Which I'm sorry I did because I let my realtor convince me that I could fix it up little by little; I'm on a fixed income and have no money to make needed improvements because the heating bills in the winter eat up all my disposable income. The house has no insulation. But I'm hoping one day the market will go up enough that I can sell it for enough to pay off my mortgage AND pay the realtor's commission (and it will not be the realtor I used when I bought it).
Flag Sat Aug 31, 2013
Linda -

People are trying to answer your questions by making assumptions without all the information. COuld you provide a little more clarity as to your exact question / concern? YOu'll get far clearer / better answers !

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END a Transaction in our Brokerage. There is NO benefit to the Seller or Buyer but only benefits the Agent.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
THOM@THOMCOLBY.COM
Linda,
In Oregon, Dual Agency is legal. Much of the training I have received does not encourage representing both sides. I recently had the same situation with a buyer of mine and asked another agent to represent them because I was not comfortable representing both sides. This is legal in Oregon and as long as confidentiality is not breached, it does work fine.
Coos Bay - I had an agent on-line read me the riot act because I asked a question . . he came back stating I was working with another agent-NO I wasn't. So rude - just because you post a question and an agent replies DOESN'T mean you are working with them. Definitely will NOT go with that real estate agency. Unprofessional and he didn't even ask me any questions before he wrote his email and I'm definitely letting coworkers, strangers, family, and friends know his name. Didn't know it was a crime while on Trulia to ask questions about listed property.
Flag Sat Jan 31, 2015
Agree with prior posters, sounds to me as though your agent has handled herself correctly and is doing a great job for you, proactively alerting you to properties that may be of interest is a great thing. What you are involved in now is called "disclosed dual agency" and as others have said, it happens all the time. In fact, agency is defined at the broker level - in this case, you are down to the agent level. This too is not uncommon.

If you are uncomfortable or confused, tell us more and we'll try to help you further. Talk to your agent - if you have any misgivings, discuss the possibility of her pulling in resources to calm your concerns.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Linda. This is fine and happens all the time. As long as she keeps confidentiality to each side, the transaction should move along without any problems.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
It sounds like your agent did everything right. She can represent both sides (buyer and seller). Hope this helps.
Hi Linda,

It would be helpful to have a little more information....what is your specific concern with this situation?
Whats your question? Sounds like your agent took a listing, and if matched up for what you were looking for. What she will do is probably represent both sides, buyer and seller, which is OK. These are sometimes rare to happen, because most of the deals done in real estate are with buyer and seller represented by different agencies.

Good Luck though.